Rich is a bold baby name for boys. Short and straightforward, the name contains undertones of flashy freedom and great wealth. Rich Lawson was the protagonist of the eponymous 1980s drama about money, and Rich Uncle Pennybags is the real name of the mascot for Monopoly. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Rich:
Old German: Ruler, powerful, mighty
Old English: Wealthy, affluent
Origin of the name Rich:
Rich is a given name with two possible origins. The most common origin is that Rich is a diminutive of Richard. This name originates from the Old German element ric (meaning “ruler”) and hard (meaning “powerful” or “mighty”). Rich can also derive from the Old English word rīce (meaning “wealthy” or “affluent”). This word was a cognate of the Old High German root reich (meaning “wealthy” or “powerful”), and it is distantly related to the Latin word rēx and the Sanskrit word rājan (both meaning “ruler” or “king”).
Symbolism of the name Rich:
Rich is a male given name that became popular beginning in the 1940s. It originated as the short form of Richard or as a synonym for wealth. Throughout the 20th century, symbols of the rich included money bags and dollar signs.
Style of the name Rich:
Gender of the name Rich:
Rich is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Rich:
Number of syllables in the name Rich:
Emotion evoked from the name Rich:
The name Rich evokes feelings of daring and drive.
Alternative spellings for the name Rich:
Nicknames for the name Rich:
Popularity of the name Rich:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Rich was the 918th most popular baby name for boys in 1971.
Related names for the name Rich:
Great middle names for Rich and their meanings:
- Armando (army man, warrior)
- Blaine (yellow, blonde)
- Carter (transporter of goods)
- Casey (watchful, alert)
- Dawson (son of David)
- Devin (divine, bard, poet)
- Eamon (wealthy protector, rich guardian)
- Hudson (heart, mind, spirit)
- Kelvin (river man)
- Nathaniel (God has given)
- Parker (gamekeeper, park keeper, guardian)
- Sidney (wide meadow)
- Wyatt (brave, hardy, strong)
Famous people with the name Rich:
- Rich Aliaändanost (actor)
- Rich Bisaccia (football coach)
- Rich Jay Franklin (mixed martial artist)
- Rich Travis Hall (comedian)
- Rich Joseph Hill (baseball player)
- Rich Moore (film director)
- Rich Wayne Robertson (baseball player)
- Rich Olen Sommer (actor)
- Rich Allen Swann (wrestler)
- Rich Ira Vos (comedian)
Rich in popular culture:
- Rich Lawson (protagonist of the eponymous 1980s drama)
- Rich Uncle Pennybags (mascot of the classic game Monopoly)