From Egon to Denzel to Barnett and beyond, each of these boy names that mean strength is masculine and strong-sounding. Explore the list of names, complete with origins and meanings, and find the perfect name for your son.
RELATED: Baby Names That Mean Strength
- Abelardo Abelardo is boy's name from Spanish that means “noble and strong.” It is adapted from the French name Adelard.
- Abir Abir is a Hebrew boy's name with several meanings. Whether you want your child's name to mean “courageos,” “mighty” or “strong,” Abir does the job. Abir is also the name of an area within Galilee, Israel.
- AndersAnders is a Scandinavian boy's name of might. Its actual meaning is “strong and manful.”
- AngusAngus is a mighty boy's name derived from Gaelic. It means “one strength.” Its older form, Oenghus, plays a major role in Scotland's history and another variant, Aonghus, is the god of love and youth in Irish mythology
- Barnett Barnett is a brawny boy's name from Germany. Its exact meaning is “bear strength.”
- BrianBrian is a hefty Irish name to dub a lad. It means “honorable,” “strong,” and “virtuous.” The most famous Brian in Ireland would be Brian Boru who expelled the Vikings from Ireland.
- Chasin Chasin is a meaty boy's name from Hebrew. It can mean either “strong” or “mighty.”
- Conall Conall is a Celtic name for robust boys. Its exact meaning is “strong as a wolf.”
- Denzel Denzel is a boy's name from Old Cornish that suits a burly boy, It means “powerful.” Denzell is a known variant spelling.
- Egon Egon is a solid German name for strong boys. While most westerners may think of Egon as the nerdiest of the Ghostbusters, Egon's actual meaning is “strong with a sword.”
- EthanEthan is a Hebrew boy's name with power behind it. The name means “strong” or firm.” Ethan is a name that pops up several times in the Old Testament, with Ethan the Ezrahite being well-regarded for his knowledge.
- EvanderEvander is a mighty boy's name that is common to both the Scottish and Greek language. While one language defines this name as “bow warrior,” the other defines it a “strong man.”
- Fermin Fermin is a Basque and Spanish language boy's name known for power. While this name just means “strong” it originates from the patron saint of Pamplona, Spain. Sanfermines occurs between July 6-14 and is when the well-known Running of the Bulls occurs.
- GabrielGabriel is a Hebrew boy's name that places its might in the divine. The exact meaning of this name is “God is my strength.”
- GarrettGarrett is a vigorous boy's name from Ireland. It means “spear strength.”
- GriffinGriffin is a Latin boy's name full of power. It means “strong lord.” Griffith is a known variant spelling.
- Hamza Hamza is an Arabic name of prowess for boys. It can mean either “lion” or “strong.” Hamza was the name of Muhammad's uncle.
- HezekiahHezekiah is a Hebrew boy's name that pays homage to the power above. This name means “God gives strength.” King Hezekiah ruled Judah during the Old Testament.
- Kwan Kwan is a Korean name for fit boys. It simply means “strong.”
- Kenzo Kenzo is a boy's name from Japan well suited to the mighty. It means “strong and healthy.” Kenzo is a rather prominent name thanks to it being the sole or personal name of a fashion designer, an architect and a painter.
- Othniel Othniel is a boy's name from Hebrew with connotations of strength. This name can mean either “lion of god” or “God's strength.” Othniel is a name that appears in the Bible and Tanakh as the first judge.
- Quillon is a Latin name for puissant boys. It can mean either “strong” or “crossing swords.” This name should be pronounced “KILL-on,” distinguishing it from a synonym for a sword's crossguard; the latter being pronounced “quill-on.”
- RykerRyker is a Danish name for bold boys. While this name explicitly means “strength,” most westerners are most familiar with this name thanks to the Starfleet officer who served under Captain Picard in “Star Trek: The Next Generation.”
- Simba Simba is a boy's name from Swahili and Shona that conveys power. This name can mean “lion” in Swahili or “strength” in Shona. Appropriate, Simba was the name chosen for the protagonist of The Lion King.
- Zale Zale is a Greek name for boys who wish to dominate the waters. The meaning of this name is “sea-strength,” making it a fine choice for a boy born at sea.
Peruse thousands of baby names on MomsWhoThink.com! And follow us on Pinterest for more parenting inspiration!
The image featured at the top of this post is ©4 PM production/Shutterstock.com.