Camille is a classy name that delivers in cultural appeal. For example, Camille Gage is a character on Step Up, and Camille Roberts is a recurring character on Big Time Rush. Camille Montes was the lead Bond girl the film Quantum of Solace, and Camille O'Connell is a character on The Originals. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Camille:
Latin: Young ceremonial attendant; acolyte
Origin of the name Camille:
Camille derives from the Latin camillus (meaning “young ceremonial attendant”). The earliest version of the name might also descend from a Roman cognomen of Etruscan origin called Camilli (meaning unknown). However, the most accepted meaning of Camille is acolyte or attendant.
Symbolism of the name Camille:
Camille means “young ceremonial attendant.” Symbols for an acolyte or attendant include the candle or lamp.
Style of the name Camille:
Gender of the name Camille:
Camille is a unisex name — it's used for both boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Camille:
Number of syllables in the name Camille:
Emotion evoked from the name Camille:
The name Camille evokes feelings of peacefulness and joy.
Alternative spellings for the name Camille:
Nicknames for the name Camille:
Popularity of the name Camille:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Camille was the 264th most popular baby girl name in 2020.
Related names for the name Camille:
Great middle names for Camille and their meanings:
- Alphonse (noble, ready for battle)
- Blair (meadow, field)
- Elizabeth (God is my oath)
- Gillian (youthful, downy)
- Imogen (maiden)
- Jean (God is gracious)
- Raine (queen)
- Sage (wise, knowing, holy herb)
- Suzanne (lily)
- Yvette (yew tree)
Famous people with the name Camille:
- Camille June Ashmore (daughter of actor Aaron Ashmore)
- Camille Constance Anderson (actress)
- Camille Rosalie Claudel (sculptor)
- Camille Benoît Desmoulins (journalist)
- Camille Marie Kelly Gottlieb (daughter of Princess Stephanie of Monaco)
- Camille le Tellier de Louvois (clergyman)
- Camille Pissarro (painter)
- Camille Alphonse Trézel (military general)
- Camille Henri Thériault (politician)
- Camille Anna Paglia (feminist)
Camilles in popular culture:
- Camille Braverman (character on Parenthood)
- Camille “Cam” Saroyan (character on Bones)
- Camille Stout (character in Stuart Little)