Cam is usually a nickname for Cameron — or Camden, Camilo, Campbell, Campion, etc. — but it's becoming increasingly popular as a given name on its own. Just like Cameron, the name is common for both boys and girls, though you'll see it associated with baby boys more frequently. Cam has Scottish origins and a silly meaning, and it's a name you might associate with several professional athletes.
Meaning of the name Cam:
Scottish: Crooked nose
Origin of the name Cam:
Cam is derived from Cameron, which is derived from the Scottish nickname “cam sròn.” It was given to people who had crooked noses.
Symbolism of the name Cam:
Choose Cam to honor your Scottish heritage or to honor your passion for famous athletes like Cam Newton or Cam Akers. Because of its meaning, Cam can also symbolize a crooked or unusual nose, or you may see it as a symbol of imperfection.
Style of the name Cam:
Gender of the name Cam:
Cam is a baby name given to both boys and girls, though it's more common for boys
Pronunciation of the name Cam:
Number of syllables in the name Cam:
Emotion evoked from the name Cam:
The baby name Cam evokes images of someone who is outgoing yet sensitive.
Alternative spellings for the name Cam:
Nicknames for the name Cam:
Popularity of the name Cam:
According to the Social Security Administration, Cam has never been a top 1,000 baby name in the United States.
Related names for the name Cam:
Great middle names for Cam and their meanings:
- Thomas (twin)
- Nicholas (people of victory)
- Augustus (great, magnificent)
- Theodore (gift of God)
- Silas (forest)
- Oliver (olive tree)
- Henry (ruler of the house)
- Owen (young warrior)
- Tobias (God is good)
Famous people with the name Cam:
- Cam Newton (football player)
- Cam Reddish (basketball player)
- Cam Woolley (traffic reporter and police officer)
- Cam Akers (football player)
- Cam Neely (hockey player and executive)
- Cam Gigandet (actor)
Cams in popular culture:
- Cam (character in the “Fallen” book series by Lauren Kate)
- Cam Buckland (character from the “Dungeons and Dragons” franchise)
- Cam Mitchell (character on the TV show “Mako Mermaids”)
- Cam Fisher (character in “The Clique” book series by Lisi Harrison)