Anastasia is an elegant and regal name given to baby girls throughout the Western world. Traditionally, Anastasia is popular name chosen for girls born in December or near Easter. Anastasia is also the name of the youngest daughter of the last emperor of Russia. Keep reading to learn more about this fascinating baby name.
Meaning of the name Anastasia:
Origin of the name Anastasia:
Anastasia is the feminine form of the Ancient Greek name Anastasios (which meant “resurrection”). It is a combination of the Greek elements ana (meaning “up” and stasis meaning “standing”). Taken together, this compound means “to rise again.”
Symbolism of the name Anastasia:
Anastasia means “resurrection” or “rebirth.” According to Orthodox beliefs, important symbols for the resurrection include the lily, fleur–de–lis, and the lamb.
Style of the name Anastasia:
Gender of the name Anastasia:
Anastasia is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Anastasia:
Number of syllables in the name Anastasia:
Emotion evoked from the name Anastasia:
The name Anastasia evokes feelings of elegance and beauty.
Alternative spellings for the name Anastasia:
Nicknames for the name Anastasia:
Popularity of the name Anastasia:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Anastasia was the 158th most popular baby name for girls in 2020. It was among the top 200 baby names for girls from 2016-2019.
Related names for the name Anastasia:
Great middle names for Anastasia and their meanings:
- Blythe (happy, carefree, cheerful)
- Beatrice (blessed, happy)
- Clementine (gentle, merciful)
- Daphne (laurel tree)
- Ellery (cheerful)
- Jai (bird, victory)
- Justina (justice)
- Lucy (light)
- Rae (little ewe or lamb)
- Vivienne (alive, life)
Famous people with the name Anastasia:
- Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanova (daughter of Tsar Nicholas II)
- Anastasia Griffth (actress)
- Anastasia Valeryevna Liukin (gymnast)
- Anastasia Muñoz (voice actress)
- Anastasia Ndereba (marathon runner)
- Anastasia Soare (businesswoman)
Anastasia in popular culture:
- Anastasia Dualla (character in Battlestar: Galactica)
- Anastasia “Stacey” McGill (character in The Babysitter's Club)
- Anastasia Tremaine (character in Walt Disney's Cinderella)