Angelina, as the name sounds, is a name that means angel. It is a very Spanish and Italian-sounding name, and rightfully so, as it is these cultures' version of the name Angela. Notable women named Angelina include Angelina Jolie and Angelina Grimke to name a couple.
Meaning of the name Angelina:
Italian: messenger of God, angel
Origin of the name Angelina:
Angelina is the Spanish, Italian, and Greek version of the English baby name Angela. This original Angela was meant to mean “angel,” so Angelina continues to behold that meaning. It is a name that is popular in modern times due to the rise of celebrity Angelina Jolie.
Symbolism of the name Angelina:
Some say that the baby name Angelina means “messenger of God.” This is because angels, which “angel” is the original meaning, are direct messengers of God to the people.
Style of the name Angelina:
Gender of the name Angelina:
Angelina is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Angelina:
Number of syllables in the name Angelina:
Emotion evoked from the name Angelina:
Angelina feels very formal and flirtatios. It feels like a very flavorful and cultural name.
Alternative spellings for the name Angelina:
Nicknames for the name Angelina:
Popularity of the name Angelina:
In 1914, the baby name Angelina was on the top 200 list for two years, until it went back on the list from 1919 to 1925. Only in the year 2000 and from 2011 to 2017 was the name on the top 200 list again at number 157. From 2001 to 2010, the name was on the top 100 list, even reaching the top 50 list in 2005 and 2006. In 2020, the name ranks at number 290 for girls.
Related names for the name Angelina:
Great middle names for Angelina and their meanings:
- Mirelle (peace, worthy of admiration)
- Simone (hear, listen)
- Catherine (pure, clear)
- Lenore (light)
- Rosemary (dew of the sea)
- Helen (ray, shining light)
- Josette (Jehovah increases)
Famous people with the name Angelina:
- Angelina Jolie (actress, “Salt”)
- Angelina Grimke (suffragist)
- Angelina Melnikova (professional gymnast)
- Angelina Porcelli (professional model)
- Angelina Armani (actress, “Fear Clinic”)
- Angelina Pivarnick (TV reality star, “Jersey Shore”)
Angelinas in popular culture:
- Angelina Ballerina (character in children's book “Angelina Ballerina”)
- Angelina Veneziano (character in “The Young and the Restless”)
- Angelina Johnson (character in “Harry Potter”)