Angela is an elegant and ethereal given name. Reminiscent of all things divine, the name Angela exhibits omnipresence in popular culture. Angela is the name of a Marvel Comics superheroine, and Angela Noelle Martin is a character from television's The Office). Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Angela:
Greek: Angel, messenger of God, heavenly creature
Origin of the name Angela:
Angela is the feminine form of the Latin names Angelus or Angelo. This name derives from the Greek word ἄngelos (meaning “messenger of God”).
Symbolism of the name Angela:
Angela is a feminine name derived from the Greek word ἄngelos (meaning “heavenly creature” or “messenger of God”). In most Western religions, angels are celestial intermediaries who visit humans while on divine missions. Symbols for angels include halos, harps, and angelic wings.
Style of the name Angela:
Gender of the name Angela:
Angela is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Angela:
Number of syllables in the name Angela:
Emotion evoked from the name Angela:
The name Angela evokes feelings of benevolence and beauty.
Alternative spellings for the name Angela:
Nicknames for the name Angela:
Popularity of the name Angela:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Angela was the 251st most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Angela:
Great middle names for Angela and their meanings:
- Aspen (poplar tree)
- Bryn (hill, mound)
- Gemma (gem, precious stone, jewel)
- Juneau (queen of heaven)
- Kathleen (pure)
- Mavis (songbird)
- Margo (pearl)
- Noelle (Christmas)
- Reeve (bailiff)
- Zelda (blessed, happy, battle-strong)
Famous people with the name Angela:
- Angela Aki (singer)
- Angela Evelyn Bassett (actress)
- Angela Gisela Brown (princess)
- Angela Lavinia Bray (politician)
- Angela Yvonne Davis (social activist)
- Angela Margo Delevingne (socialite)
- Angela Melissa Griffin (television presenter)
- Angela Faye Kinsey (actress)
- Angela Dorothea Merkel (politician)
- Angela Margaret Thirkell (novelist)
Angela in popular culture:
- Angela (Marvel Comics superheroine)
- Angela Anaconda (titular protagonist of the animated series)
- Angela Robinson Bower (main character in Who's the Boss?)
- Angela Noelle Martin (character in The Office)
- Angela Pearly-Gates Montenegro (character in Bones)
- Angela Julienne Turner (character in Call The Midwife)
- Angela Weber (character in the Twilight novels and film franchise)