Gemma was once a nickname in Italy, but it is now a standalone name in the origin country and around the world. It represents the preciousness of a gemstone, making it a beautiful name for girls. Currently, the name is close to a top 200 name option in America.
Meaning of the name Gemma:
Italian: precious stone
Origin of the name Gemma:
Gemma began as a nickname during Medieval times in Italy. It was meany for ladies who were seen as precious as a stone. Despite the traditional origins, it only became a top 1,000 name in America in 2009.
Symbolism of the name Gemma:
The baby name Gemma means “precious stone” as it was used for a nickname for ladies as precious as a gemstone. It utilizes the same prefix as the name gem, which adds to the meaning.
Style of the name Gemma:
Gender of the name Gemma:
Gemma is a flirty and feminine girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Gemma:
Number of syllables in the name Gemma:
Emotion evoked from the name Gemma:
Gemma is a refined and wholesome name. It is beautiful, classy, and attractive.
Alternative spellings for the name Gemma:
Nicknames for the name Gemma:
Popularity of the name Gemma:
The baby name Gemma was very popular in England in the 1980s. It became a top 1,000 option in America in 2008 at number 997. The name rose to the top 300 list in 2014 until 2018. In 2019, the name became a top 200 name for the first time at 198, and as of 2020, it ranks at number 207.
Related names for the name Gemma:
Great middle names for Gemma and their meanings:
- Rose (rose, a flower)
- Faye (loyalty, belief)
- Victoria (victory)
- Naomi (pleasantness)
- Constance (constant)
- Cecilia (“blind to one's own beauty”)
- Lydia (beautiful one)
- Zoey (life)
Famous people with the name Gemma:
- Gemma di Manetto Donati (wife of Dante Alighieri)
- Gemma Arterton (actress, “Clash of the Titans”)
- Gemma Hayes (singer of The Cake Sale band)
- Gemma Ward (actress, “The Strangers”)
- Gemma Jen (paralympian from Singapore)
- Gemma Bissix (actress, “EastEnders”)
- Gemma Bond (professional ballerina)
- Gemma Whelan (actress, “Emma”)
Gemmas in popular culture:
- Gemma (character from “Hex”)
- Gemma Castleroy (character from “Reign”)
- Gemma Morrow (character from “Sons of Anarchy”)
- Gemma Leslie (character from “Fangirl”)
- Gemma Doyle (character from “Gemma Doyle” trilogy)
- Gemma Brogan (character from “Junk”)