Constance was a popular name in Medieval times and even into the twentieth century. It dates back to ancient Roman names. It is currently a top 2,500 option, nowhere close to the top 100 placement Constance had in the mid-twentieth century.
Meaning of the name Constance:
English: constant, steadfast
Origin of the name Constance:
Constance became a name option in Medieval times. It was a variation of the French name Constantia that came to England after the Norman Invasion. Constantia is a variation of the Latin name Constantius, a variation of Constans.
Symbolism of the name Constance:
The baby name Constance dates back to the ancient Latin name Constans. This latter option translated to “constant” or “steadfast.” It was the name of one of the sons of Constantine the Great, who ended up becoming an emperor himself.
Style of the name Constance:
Gender of the name Constance:
Constance is a virtue name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Constance:
Number of syllables in the name Constance:
Emotion evoked from the name Constance:
Constance is a mature name with a natural feel. It is wholesome and refined.
Alternative spellings for the name Constance:
Nicknames for the name Constance:
Popularity of the name Constance:
Constance was a top 1,000 baby name in America until 1999 when it was ranked number 1,000. The name was a top 100 option, however, from 1946 to 1953. It ranked highest in 1949 at rank 83.
Related names for the name Constance:
Great middle names for Constance and their meanings:
- Annabelle (loving, gracious, beautiful)
- Lenora (shining light)
- Marie (star of the sea)
- Ariel (lion of God)
- Pearl (precious)
- Isadora (gift of Isis)
- Danielle (God is my judge)
- Rose (rose, a flower)
Famous people with the name Constance:
- Constance of Aragorn (Roman Empress)
- Constance Zimmer (actress, “UnREAL”)
- Constance Lopez (actress, “George Lopez”)
- Constance Jablonski (model)
- Constance Bennett (actress, “Topper”)
- Constance Woolson (novelist)
- Constance Towers (actress, “The Naked Kiss”)
- Constance Lewes (socialite in England)
Constances in popular culture:
- Constance Blackwood (character from “We Have Always Lived in the Castle”)
- Constance Courte (character from “Ace Attorney” video game)
- Constance Carmell (character from “Party Down”)
- Constance Langdon (character from “American Horror Story”)
- Constance Hardbroom (character from “The Worst Witch”)
- Constance Temple (character from “Gone”)