You don't hear the name Prudence much anymore. It hasn't been a top name for baby girls in the United States since the 1940s, but it could easily make a comeback as a “grandma name.” Prudence is a virtue and vocabulary word name that happens to be one of the Seven Catholic Virtues. Those who aren't Catholic may associate with Greek philosophy or even an old Beatles song. No matter how you view it, don't count Prudence out just yet. Pair it with a current middle name to bring it into the 21st century.
Meaning of the name Prudence:
Origin of the name Prudence:
Prudence is a virtue and vocabulary word name that means “caution.” It's derived from the Latin word “prudentia.”
Symbolism of the name Prudence:
As a virtue name, Prudence may offer much in the way of symbolism. Many new parents, particularly those of faith, may choose it hoping their daughter grows up to exemplify this virtue.
Style of the name Prudence:
Virtue name, word name, grandma name
Gender of the name Prudence:
Prudence is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Prudence:
Number of syllables in the name Prudence:
Emotion evoked from the name Prudence:
The baby name Prudence evokes images of someone who is spiritual and curious about the world around her. She is always exploring and learning.
Alternative spellings for the name Prudence:
Nicknames for the name Prudence:
Popularity of the name Prudence:
According to the Social Security Administration, Prudence was a top 1,000 baby name for girls in the United States up until around 1948. It was most popular in 1943 when it ranked at number 644. It last ranked at number 938 in 1948.
Related names for the name Prudence:
Great middle names for Prudence and their meanings:
- Eliza (pledged to God)
- Olivia (olive tree)
- Rose (flower)
- Abigail (father's joy)
- Sophia (wisdom)
- Avery (ruler of the elves)
- Parker (park keeper)
- Vivian (life)
- Riley (courageous)
Famous people with the name Prudence:
- Prudence Liew (singer and actor)
- Prudence Farrow (author and producer)
- Prudence Millinery (fashion designer)
- Prudence Neff (musician)
- Prudence Margaret Leith (celebrity chef, TV host, and author)
Prudence in popular culture:
- Prudence(character in the novel “Summer Term at St. Clare's” by Enid Blyton)
- Prudence (character in the movie “Across the Universe”)
- Prudence (character in the Disney “Cinderella” movies)
- Prudence (character on the TV show “Rugrats”)
- Prudence Duncan (character in the “Matchmaker” book series by Jane Feather)