Lenora is a baby girl’s name that was popular between 1900 and 1975. In English, Lenora is a shortened form of Eleanora that means “light”. In French, Lenora is an adaptation of the surname Noir, meaning “black”. Lenora is a vintage classic but it hasn’t made a comeback alongside others.
Meaning of the name Lenora:
Origin of the name Lenora:
Lenora is a baby girl’s name of English and French origin. In English, Lenora means “light” and is a shortened form of Eleanora. In French, Lenora is an adaption of the surname Noir and means “black”.
Symbolism of the name Lenora:
Lenora is a name of opposites, meaning both “light” and “black”. Light is symbolic of creativity, purity, and enlightenment. Black can be associated with darkness and death, but also peace, night, and protection.
Style of the name Lenora:
Gender of the name Lenora:
Lenora is a girl's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Lenora:
Number of syllables in the name Lenora:
Emotion evoked from the name Lenora:
Lenora evokes feelings of creativity and beauty.
Alternative spellings for the name Lenora:
Leonora, Lenoira, Lenoire
Nicknames for the name Lenora:
Popularity of the name Lenora:
According to the Social Security Administration, Lenora is a popular baby girl’s name. Lenora was in the top 1000 baby names list from 1900 to 1975. It peaked in 1906 at #245.
Related names for the name Lenora:
Great middle names for the name Lenora and their meanings:
- Hazel (hazlenut tree, light brown)
- Mabel (lovable)
- Sadie (princess)
- Ruby (deep red precious stone)
- Iris (rainbow)
- Daisy (day's eye)
- Sophie (wisdom)
- Edie (prosperous in war)
Famous people with the name Lenora:
- Lenora Branch Fulani (American psychologist, activist, and politician)
- Lenora Isabella Crichlow (English actress)
- Lenora Nemetz (American actress)
- Lenora Hume (Canadian film producer)
- Lenora Mattingly Weber (American novelist)
Lenora in popular culture:
- Lenora Tripp (film, “The Californians”)
- Lenora (literature, “Beautiful” by Amy Reed)
- Lenora (video games, “Pokemon” series)
- Lenora Wickstaff (literature, “The Wish Giver” by Bill Brittain)
- Lenora (theater, “Cry-Baby”)