Leonora is a beautiful and refined Italian name. Despite the upscale feel, this title began as a nickname in Italy. As of 2021 in America, Leonora is on the top 4,300 list, letting its refinement shine.
Meaning of the name Leonora:
Origin of the name Leonora:
Leonora is the Italian nickname for the baby name Eleanor. Eleanor originated from the Old French name Alienor. It became popular around the twelfth century, as Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine was a well-known figure. Eleanor spread to England due to the popularity of this member of royalty, eventually influencing parents around the world. Leonora became the Italian version of it.
Symbolism of the name Leonora:
The baby name Leonora has the same origins as Eleanor. The meaning of either of these options is “unknown.” No one knows exactly where Eleanor, the original name, comes from, though most speculate it is a form of Alienor.
Style of the name Leonora:
Gender of the name Leonora:
Leonora is a refined name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Leonora:
lee-O-nor-uh or lee-UH-nor-uh
Number of syllables in the name Leonora:
Emotion evoked from the name Leonora:
Leonora feels refined and upscale. It is a formal and wholesome baby name.
Alternative spellings for the name Leonora:
Nicknames for the name Leonora:
Popularity of the name Leonora:
Leonora remained on the top 1,000 list of the Social Security Popularity Index until 1943 when it was number 1,000. It ranked highest in 1901 at rank 516. As of 2021, Leonora is a top 4,300 option. It is number 4,279 for girls.
Related names for the name Leonora:
Great middle names for Leonora and their meanings:
- Quinn (descendent of Conn)
- Faye (loyalty, belief)
- Magdalene (woman from Magdala, high tower)
- Grace (God's grace)
- Paige (helper, assistant)
- Maeve (she who rules, the intoxicating one)
- Charlotte (free man, petite)
- Anne (favor, grace)
Famous people with the name Leonora:
- Leonora Christina (princess)
- Leonora Carrington (surrealist artist)
- Leonora Piper (famous medium)
- Leonora Armstrong (missionary)
- Leonora Duarte (composer)
- Leonora Braham (operatic soprano)
- Leonora Alleyne (writer)
- Leonora Speyer (poet, violinist)
Leonoras in popular culture:
- Leonora (character from “Secret Ceremony”)
- Leonora Penderton (character from “Reflections in a Golden Eye”)
- Leonora Ashburnham (character from “The Good Soldier”)