The baby name Leland is associated with an astronaut and with a rapper, to name a few. It is a name that was once a surname, though it does not have the typical last name sound that other popular unisex options do. Though around since the nineteenth century at least, Leland is a top 500 name as of 2020.
Meaning of the name Leland:
English: meadowland, fallow land
Origin of the name Leland:
Leland originated as a surname in England. It was meant for families of a town that was spelled the same and meant “meadowland” or “fallow land.” Leland became a standalone first name in the nineteenth century, and continues to be a popular option today.
Symbolism of the name Leland:
Leland means “meadowland” or “fallow land” as it was a description of the town so named it. Families from the area obviously lived among rolling hills of meadows in England.
Style of the name Leland:
Gender of the name Leland:
Leland is used for boys or girls, but it is primarily seen for males.
Pronunciation of the name Leland:
LEE-lind or LEE-land
Number of syllables in the name Leland:
Emotion evoked from the name Leland:
Leland feels strong, serious, and proud. It is not arrogant though, as it has a bit of a simple nature to it.
Alternative spellings for the name Leland:
Nicknames for the name Leland:
Popularity of the name Leland:
Leland has been in use as a baby name in America for over a century. It was actually a top 200 name from 1915 to 1931 and again from 1933 to 1934. The name did decline in the late-twentieth century, but it is slowly increasing in popularity again. As of 2020, Leland is rank 473.
Related names for the name Leland:
Great middle names for Leland and their meanings:
- Bailey (berry clearing, bailiff)
- Peyton (fighting man's estate)
- Harlow (army hill)
- Taylor (tailor, cutter of cloth)
- Layton (dweller in the lane)
- Arley (hare meadow)
Famous people with the name Leland:
- Leland Melvin (astronaut)
- Leland Stanford (founder of Stanford University)
- Leland Sklar (musician)
- Leland Chapman (famous bounty hunter)
- Leland Austin (rapper, Yung L.A.)
- Leland Orser (actor, “Taken”)
- Leland Hartwell (winner of Noble Peace Prize)
Lelands in popular culture:
- Leland Fitzgerald (main character from “The United States of Leland”)
- Leland Palmer (character from “Twin Peaks”)
- Leland Stottlemeyer (character from “Monk”)
- Leland Fontaine (character from “Digital Fortress”)
- Leland Wickstaff (character from “The Wish Giver”)
- Leland Zevo (character from “Toys”)