Brennan is a refined Irish baby name for boys. With its balanced use of consonants and distinctly Gaelic appeal, Brennan is a thoughtful and introspective alternative to well-known options like Brendan or Brian. The name is also notable for its use in popular culture. Brennan Huff was the protagonist of the film Step Brothers, and Brennan of the Moor is silent film depicting the legendary Irish highwayman. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Brennan:
Gaelic: Rain, moisture, teardrop, sorrow
Irish: Little raven
Origin of the name Brennan:
Brennan is an Irish given name and surname with two etymologies. The first etymology is from the Gaelic name Braonáin. This name derived from the nickname Braon (meaning “rain” or “moisture”) combined with the suffix –áin to produce the meaning of “teardrop” or “sorrow.” The second etymology of Brennan comes from the Irish first name Branán (meaning “little raven”).
Symbolism of the name Brennan:
Brennan derives from the Gaelic name Braonáin (meaning “rain” or “teardrop”). It can also derive from the Irish name Branán (meaning “little raven”). In Irish mythology, Branán is closely related to the Celtic god Brân the Great. The totem of this god is the raven, and this bird symbol of wisdom and prophecy.
Style of the name Brennan:
Gender of the name Brennan:
Brennan is a great name for both boys and girls, but it's more common for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Brennan:
Number of syllables in the name Brennan:
Emotion evoked from the name Brennan:
The name Brennan evokes feelings of resilience and refinement.
Alternative spellings for the name Brennan:
Nicknames for the name Brennan:
Popularity of the name Brennan:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Brennan was the 763rd most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Brennan:
Great middle names for Brennan and their meanings:
- Abner (father of light)
- Armand (army man)
- Declan (man of prayer, full of goodness)
- Floyd (grey)
- Hugh (fiery)
- Jerome (holy name, sacred name)
- Llewellyn (lion, leader)
- Miles (soldier)
- Reginald (king)
- Travers (toll collector)
Famous people with the name Brennan:
- Brennan Philip Boesch (baseball player)
- Brennan Evans (ice hockey player)
- Brennan Carroll (football coach)
- Brennan Brave Hampton (actor)
- Brennan Lee Mulligan (comedian)
- Brennan Newberry (NASCAR driver)
- Brennan Rhys Robinson (son of singer Scott Robinson)
- Brennan William Scarlett (football player)
- Brennan Marcel Williams (wrestler)
Brennan in popular culture:
- Brennan Family Restaurants (culinary franchise headquartered in New Orleans, Louisiana)
- Brennan Huff (protagonist of the film Step Brothers)
- Brennan of the Moor (silent film depicting the legendary Irish highwayman)