Brandon is a traditional masculine name with highly modern appeal. Ancient in origin, the name's calm sturdiness has given it perennial popularity. Brandon “Bran” Stark is a main character on Game of Thrones), and Brandon “Brand” Walsh is an ensemble character on 90210. Keep reading to learn more about this impressive name.
Meaning of the name Brandon:
English: Broom-covered hill
Welsh: Raven, crow
German: Fiery hill
Origin of the name Brandon:
Brandon has several distinct etymologies. In Old English, Brandon is a combination of the Anglo-Saxon words brōm (meaning “broom” or “gorse-bush”) and dūn (meaning “hill”). Designed as a location name, Brandon is the namesake of dozens of English villages and towns. Brandon first became a surname and then transferred use as a given name.
In Old Irish, Brandon derives from the word brénainn. The term was a loan word from the Old Welsh phrase breenhin (meaning “prince” or “chieftain”). Brandon can also derive from the Old Welsh root bran (meaning “raven” or “little crow”). In Scandinavian languages, Brandon originates from the Old Norse words brand or brant (meaning “sword”). A final possible origin is the Proto-Germanic word brandaz (meaning “fiery” or “burning hill”).
Symbolism of the name Brandon:
Brandon first became common as a surname with its own coat of arms in several countries. Symbols for Brandon included the raven, torch, or beacon.
Style of the name Brandon:
Gender of the name Brandon:
Brandon is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Brandon:
Number of syllables in the name Brandon:
Emotion evoked from the name Brandon:
The name Brandon evokes feelings of fearlessness and fortitude.
Alternative spellings for the name Brandon:
Nicknames for the name Brandon:
Popularity of the name Brandon:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Brandon was the 166th most popular name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Brandon:
Great middle names for Brandon and their meanings:
- Austin (great, magnificent)
- Craig (rock)
- Dylan (son of the sea)
- Dexter (right hand)
- Kieran (little dark one)
- Neville (new town)
- Nigel (champion)
- Rohan (red haired, ascending)
- Sean (God is gracious)
- Vincent (victorious)
Famous people with the Brandon:
- Brandon Charles Boyd (singer)
- Brandon Xavier Ingram (baseball player)
- Brandon Byron Jennings (basketball player)
- Brandon Cole “Bam” Margera (skateboarder)
- Brandon Timothy Jackson (comedian)
- Brandon Bruce Lee (martial artist)
- Brandon Avery Perlman (son of Ron Perlman)
- Brandon James Routh (actor)
- Brandon Mychal Smith (singer)
- Brandon Jacob Uranowitz (actor)
Brandon in popular culture:
- Brandon Matthew Buckingham (main character in the book Bad Boy SEALs)
- Brandon “Bran” Stark (character in Game of Thrones)
- Brandon “Brand” Walsh (character on 90210)