Kieran is a popular baby boy’s name of Irish origin that means “little dark one”. Kieran has been in the top 1,000 baby names list since 1992 and is part of the popular trend of boy’s names that start with K, alongside Kaden and Kai.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Kieran:
Kieran is a baby boy’s name of Irish origin that means “little dark one”. Kieran is the Anglicized form of Ciarán.
Symbolism of the Name Kieran:
Kieran means “little dark one” and is a diminutive of the traditional name Ciar. Ciar was a historical Irish leader after whom County Kerry in Ireland is named.
Nicknames for the Name Kieran:
This is the best list you'll find for nicknames for Kieran! All of these nicknames have something special to offer. Whether you're looking for something common or something unique, this list has it. From Kier to Rany, here are the best nicknames for Kieran:
Style of the Name Kieran:
Gender of the Name Kieran:
Kieran is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the Name Kieran:
Number of Syllables in the Name Kieran:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Kieran:
Kieran evokes feelings of charisma and power.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Kieran:
Ciaran, Ciaren, Keiran, Kieron, Kyran
Popularity of the Name Kieran:
According to the Social Security Administration, Kieran is a popular baby boy’s name. Kieran was in the top 1,000 baby names list from 1992 to 2022. It peaked at #474 in 2011. As of 2022, Kieran ranks at #490.
Related Names for the Name Kieran:
Great Middle Names for the Name Kieran and Their Meanings:
- Rowan (little redhead, rowan tree)
- Liam (resolute protection)
- Owen (young warrior, well-born)
- Manus (great)
- Leary (calf herder)
- Geralt (rule of the spear)
- Finn (white)
- Daire (fruitful, fertile)
- Caolan (slender)
- Alastar (free man)
Famous People with the Name Kieran:
- Kieran Kyle Culkin (American actor)
- Kieran Lee (English footballer)
- Kieran Agard (English footballer)
- Kieran Mulroney (American actor)
- Kieran Read (New Zealand rugby union player)
Kieran in Popular Culture:
- Kieran (literature, “Chronicles of Nick” by Sherrilyn Kenyon)
- Kieran (literature, “The Dark Artifices” by Cassandra Clare)
- Kieran (video game, “Dragon Age” series)
- Kieran Branson (television, “Downton Abbey”)
- Kieran Wilcox (film, “Scream”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Tatiana Katsai/Shutterstock.com.