Kane is just one way to spell this popular one-syllable name that has roots in Ireland, Japan and even Hawaii. Many people associate it Cain from the Bible or the movie “Citizen Kane.” These days, it often stands alone as a strong moniker for boys that's popular but not stale or overused.
Meaning of the name Kane:
Irish: Little battler
Hawaiian: Man of the Eastern sky
Origin of the name Kane:
The baby name “Kane” has many meanings, but it's originally derived from the Irish name “Cathán,” which breaks down to mean “little battler” in Gaelic.
Symbolism of the name Kane:
Though spelled differently, many people associate Kane with the name “Cain” from the Bible. It's also associated with the Irish Saint Cathán. For this reason, the name is symbolic to Christians.
Style of the name Kane:
Gender of the name Kane:
Kane is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Kane:
Number of syllables in the name Kane:
Emotion evoked from the name Kane:
The baby name Kane evokes the image of a man who is strong and successful.
Alternative spellings for the name Kane:
Nicknames for the name Kane:
Popularity of the name Kane:
Kane first ranked as one of the top baby names in the United States in 1986. Since then, it's climbed the list to number 337 in 2020, according to the Social Security Administration.
Related names for the name Kane:
Great middle names for Kane and their meanings:
- Alexander (protector of men)
- Michael (who is like God)
- Harrison (son of Harry)
- Matthew (gift from God)
- Patrick (noble)
- Henry (ruler of the home)
- Elliot (the Lord is my God)
Famous people with the name Kane:
- Kane Alexander (singer)
- Kane Brown (singer)
- Kane Hodder (actor and stuntman)
- Kane Churko (music producer)
- Kane Cornes (soccer player)
Kanes in popular culture:
- Lord Kane of Runefaust (character in the videl game “Shining Force”)
- Killer Kane (character in the Buck Rodgers comic strip and movies)
- Kane Bullard (character in the video game “Ace Attorney”)
- Kane (name of rock band from the Netherlands)
- Kane (character in the book series “Outlander”)