Kane is just one way to spell this popular one-syllable name that has roots in Ireland, Japan and even Hawaii. Many people associate it with Cain from the Bible or the movie “Citizen Kane”. These days, it often stands alone as a strong moniker for boys that's popular, but not stale or overused.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Kane:
The baby name “Kane” has many meanings, but it's originally derived from the Irish name “Cathán,” which breaks down to mean “little battler” in Gaelic. The name means “man of the Eastern sky” in Hawaiian, and “golden” in Japanese. One could argue that this is truly a global name!
Symbolism of the Name Kane:
Though spelled differently, many people associate Kane with the name “Cain” from the Bible. It's also associated with the Irish Saint Cathán. For this reason, the name is symbolic to Christians.
Nicknames for the Name Kane:
Despite being a short name, Kane has a lot of nicknames that go with it. Some of them will be familiar to you, while others are more unique. Check out the list:
Style of the Name Kane:
Gender of the Name Kane:
Kane is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the Name Kane:
Number of Syllables in the Name Kane:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Kane:
The baby name Kane evokes the image of a man who is strong and successful.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Kane:
Popularity of the Name Kane:
Kane first ranked as one of the top baby names in the United States in 1986. Since then, it's climbed the list to number 360 in 2022, according to the Social Security Administration.
Related Names for the Name Kane:
Great Middle Names for Kane and Their Meanings:
- Alexander (protector of men)
- Michael (who is like God)
- Harrison (son of Harry)
- Matthew (gift from God)
- Patrick (noble)
- Henry (ruler of the home)
- Elliot (the Lord is my God)
Famous People with the Name Kane:
- Kane Alexander (singer)
- Kane Brown (singer)
- Kane Hodder (actor and stuntman)
- Kane Churko (music producer)
- Kane Cornes (soccer player)
Kanes in Popular Culture:
- Lord Kane of Runefaust (character in the videl game “Shining Force”)
- Killer Kane (character in the Buck Rodgers comic strip and movies)
- Kane Bullard (character in the video game “Ace Attorney”)
- Kane (name of rock band from the Netherlands)
- Kane (character in the book series “Outlander”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Tomsickova Tatyana/Shutterstock.com.