Brandan is a dapper and upbeat baby name for boys. Stylish in composition, this name makes an attractive alternative to more conventional spellings. Brandan Kencyr is the name of the protagonist in Chronicles of the Kencyrath, and Brandan Tulachka is a favorite character in the animated Monster Trucks series. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Brandan:
Old English: Broom-covered hill, beacon hill
Irish: Prince, chieftain
Welsh: Crow, little raven
Dutch: Sword, dagger, blade
German: Fiery hill
Origin of the name Brandan:
Brandan is a spelling variation of the name Brandon. This name derives from the Old English elements brōm (meaning “broom”) and dūn (meaning “hill”). It was a topographical term that later became a landmark name. In Irish, Brandan comes from the word brénainn. This word originated from the Old Welsh term breenhin (meaning “prince,” “chieftain,” or “leader”).
In addition, Brandan may also derive from the Welsh element bran (meaning “raven” or “crow”). Within Scandinavian countries, Brandan derives from the Norse language elements brand or brant (meaning “dagger” or “sword”). Finally, Brandan may also descend from the Proto-Indo-Germanic word brandaz (which meant “burning hill”).
Symbolism of the name Brandan:
Brandan is an alternative spelling of Brandon. This name developed its own coat of arms within the British Isles. The symbol of Brandon is the crow or raven. In addition, the antiquarian scholar Thomas Wright is famous for using the Brandan variation in St. Brandan: A Medieval Legend of the Sea. This tale chronicles the legend of the Irish monk who sailed the Atlantic Ocean to reach North America. In this context, symbols of Brandan include the sailing mast and the whale.
Style of the name Brandan:
Gender of the name Brandan:
Brandan is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Brandan:
Number of syllables in the name Brandan:
Emotion evoked from the name Brandan:
The name Brandan evokes feelings of stamina and success.
Alternative spellings for the name Brandan:
Nicknames for the name Brandan:
Popularity of the name Brandan:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Brandan was the 986th most popular baby name for boys in 2001.
Related names for the name Brandan:
Great middle names for Brandan and their meanings:
- Ashton (ash tree town)
- Carlisle (protected tower, fort, walled city)
- Darius (rich, kingly, possessing goodness)
- Declan (man of prayer, full of goodness)
- Fletcher (arrow maker)
- Guillermo (strong-willed warrior)
- Haimo (home)
- Ivan (God is gracious)
- Reuel (friend of God)
- Tristan (tumult, outcry)
- Wrigley (river bend clearing)
- Zachariah (God remembers)
Famous people with the name Brandan:
- Brandan Andres (actor)
- Brandan de Brano (film director)
- Brandan Craig (soccer player)
- Brandan Allan Greczkowski (judoka martial artist)
- Brandan Dion Kearney (basketball player)
- Brandan Ray Leathead (illustrator)
- Brandan Alan McConnaughhay (film producer)
- Brandan “BMike” Odums (visual artist)
- Brandan “Ohrly” Schieppati (singer)
- Brandan Keith Wright (basketball player)
Brandan in popular culture:
- Brandan Kencyr (main character in Chronicles of the Kencyrath by P.C. Hodgell
- Brandan Tulachka (character in the Monster Trucks series)