Brendan is a strikingly attractive first name. Although the name's origin derives from Welsh royalty, Brendan has an easygoing tonality that makes it sound fresh in any era. Brendan is the name of a central male character in the Pokémon franchise, Brendan Frye is the protagonist of the mystery film Brick, and Brenden “Blackfish” Tully is a main character in A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Brendan:
Welsh: Prince, king
Origin of the name Brendan:
Brendan derives from the Gaelic name Breandán or the earlier Old Irish name Brénainn. Both names originate from the Old Welsh word breenhin (meaning “prince” or “king”). Latin speakers translated the name as Brendanus, and this variation influenced the modern English spelling of the Brendan.
Symbolism of the name Brendan:
Brendan originated from an Old Welsh word that meant “prince” or “king.” Saint Brendan the Navigator is one of the most famous bearers of the name. According to Irish legend, Saint Brendan sailed across the Atlantic Ocean and reached North America along with 17 other monks. Symbols of Saint Brendan include the ship's mast and the whale.
Style of the name Brendan:
Gender of the name Brendan:
Brendan is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Brendan:
Number of syllables in the name Brendan:
Emotion evoked from the name Brendan:
The name Brendan evokes feelings of adventure and acclaim.
Alternative spellings for the name Brendan:
Nicknames for the name Brendan:
Popularity of the name Brendan:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Brendan was the 717th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Brendan:
Great middle names for Brendan and their meanings:
- Aidan (little fire)
- Clark (scribe, scholar, clerk)
- Eoin (young)
- Frederick (peaceful ruler)
- Leo (lion)
- Louis (famous warrior, renowned in battle)
- Niall (champion)
- Randall (wolf shield)
- Shane (God is gracious)
- Thomas (twin)
Famous people with the name Brendan:
- Brendan Francis Aidan Behan (poet)
- Brendan Thomas Byrne (politician)
- Brendan Kevin Donnelly (baseball player)
- Brendan James Fraser (actor)
- Brendan Joseph Hansen (Olympic swimmer)
- Brendan “Benny” Lewis (blogger)
- Brendan Adam Mathew Gallagher (hockey player)
- Brendan Todd Haywood (basketball player)
- Brendan Richard O'Neill (businessman)
- Brendon Michael Walsh (comedian)
Brendan in popular culture:
- Brendan (main male character in Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald editions)
- Brendan Brady (character in the British soap opera Hollyoaks)
- Brendan Frye (protagonist of the neo-noir mystery film Brick)
- Brenden “Blackfish” Tully (tertiary character in A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin)