Emmie is a baby girl’s name of English origin. It is a diminutive of Emily (meaning “rival”) and Emma (meaning “universal, whole”). Emmie is a vintage classic name popular in the first decades of the 20th-century. It returned to popularity in 2015 as an alternative to the wildly popular Emma.
Meaning of the name Emmie:
English: universal, whole, rival
Origin of the name Emmie:
Emmie is an English baby girl’s name that is a diminutive of both Emma and Emily. It means “whole, universal” or “rival”.
Symbolism of the name Emmie:
Emmie has a namesake in two flowers: the Purple Lace Emmy and the Wild Emmy Rose. The first is a type of evergreen shrub with purple and white flowers. The latter is a deep pink loose bloom wild rose.
Style of the name Emmie:
Gender of the name Emmie:
Emmie is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Emmie:
Number of syllables in the name Emmie:
Emotion evoked from the name Emmie:
Emmie evokes feelings of good nature and integrity.
Alternative spellings for the name Emmie:
Emmy, Emie, Emy, Emi, Emmi, Emie
Nicknames for the name Emmie:
Popularity of the name Emmie:
According to the Social Security Administration, Emmie is a popular baby girl’s name. Emmie was in the top 1000 baby names list from 1900 to 1935 and returned to the list in 2015 through 2020. It peaked at #468 in 1902.
Related names for the name Emmie:
Great middle names for the name Emmie and their meanings:
- Astrid (divinely beautiful)
- Lyra (lyre)
- Poppy (red flower)
- Mabel (lovable)
- Freya (a noble woman)
- Harlan (rock hill)
- Teagan (litlte poet)
- Hollis (near the holly bush)
Famous people with the name Emmie:
- Emmie Owen (English operatic soprano)
- Emmie Takomana Chanika (Malawian human rights activist)
- Emma Sarah “Emmie” Morton Smith (English singer-songwriter)
- Emmie Tillett (English classical music manager)
- EmmieGaines (daughter of American reality stars Chip and Joanna Gaines)
Emmie in popular culture:
- Emmie (television, “Doc McStuffins”)
- Emmie Blue (literature, “Dear Emmie Blue” by Lia Louis)
- Emmie (literature, “The Trials of Apollo” series by Rick Riordan)
- Emmie (video game, “Project 1999”)
- Emmie (opera, “Albert Herring” by Benjamin Britten