May is a popular baby name. It originated from the ancient Roman goddess Maia or as a diminutive for Mary or Margaret. As of 2021, May is at number 3,103 for girls.
Meaning of the name May:
Latin: goddess of the springtime, greater, sea of bitterness
Origin of the name May:
The baby name May comes from the ancient Roman name Maia. Maia was a Roman goddess who watched over the spring. Other individuals believe that May began as a diminutive of options like Mary or Margaret.
Symbolism of the name May:
The baby name May means “goddess of the springtime” when considering that it comes from Maia, the title for a Roman goddess. Others say that May interprets to “greater” because Maia comes from the Latin word “maior.” Finally, May could mean “sea of bitterness” if considering that it is a nickname for Mary or Margaret.
Style of the name May:
Gender of the name May:
May is a simple name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name May:
Number of syllables in the name May:
Emotion evoked from the name May:
May is a common and youthful name for girls. It is a natural and delicate option.
Alternative spellings for the name May:
Nicknames for the name May:
Popularity of the name May:
May was a top 1,000 name in America until 1982 when it was number 964. The name did best in 1900 when it was at rank 91. As of 2021, May is a top 3,200 option at number 3,103.
Related names for the name May:
Great middle names for May and their meanings:
- Ivy (vine)
- Coralie (coral reef)
- Eleanor (light-hearted, shining light)
- Rose (rose, a flower)
- Arabella (yielding to prayer)
- Liliana (lily, pure, innocent)
- Alice (noble, light)
- Wren (small bird)
Famous people with the name May:
- May Smith (great granddaughter of Queen Victoria)
- May Whitty (actress)
- May O”Donnell (dancer, choreographer)
- May Pang (former girlfriend of John Lennon)
- May Allison (actress)
- May Britt (actress)
- May McAvoy (silent film actress)
Mays in popular culture:
- May Parker (character from Spiderman comics)
- May Welland (character from “The Age of Innocence”)
- May (character from “Pokemon” series)
- May Clutterbucket (character from “Girl Meets World”)
- May Kanker (character from “Ed, Edd, n Eddy”)