Josette is a beautiful baby name with a distinct accent when pronouncing it in a classical manner. It began as a nickname but is now a standalone option all around the world. Josette has not been a top 1,000 name in America since 1973, however.
Meaning and Origin of the name Josette:
Josette is a French girl's name of Hebrew origin meaning “Jehovah increases.”
Josette originated as a nickname for Josephine. Josephine is the feminine variation of Joseph in France. Joseph comes from the Hebrew name Yosef, which means “He will add.” It became popular throughout the country after the reign of Napoleon Bonaparte. His wife was Josephine de Beauharnais.
Symbolism of the name Josette:
Josette means “Jehovah increases.” Jehovah is a variation of the Hebrew name of God. The name Josette has a spiritual meaning and suggests that abundance will come to those bearing the name. Josette will bring light and happiness into the lives of those she's around.
Nicknames for the name Josette:
Josette is an elegant and sweet-sounding name for girls. You have many options for nicknames, and each nickname pairs nicely with Josette. We gathered nicknames in the list below to help you find the perfect one for your baby girl.
Style of the name Josette:
Gender of the name Josette:
Josette is a flirtatious baby name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Josette:
Number of syllables in the name Josette:
Emotion evoked from the name Josette:
Josette feels classical, refined, and noble. It is a serious name with a flirtatious side.
Alternative spellings for the name Josette:
Popularity of the name Josette:
Josette was a top 1,000 baby name in America in the mid to late twentieth century. It was rank 728 in 1967, lasting until 1973 at rank 809. Josette was a top 500 name choice in 1968 at rank 420. As of 2020, Josette is number 2,259.
Related names for the name Josette:
Great middle names for Josette and their meanings:
- Cherie (darling)
- Sophia (wise)
- Marina (of the sea)
- Camilla (servant for the temple)
- Lorena (laurel tree, bay leaf)
- Maureen (star of the sea)
- Renee (reborn)
- Alana (beauty, serenity)
Famous people with the name Josette:
- Josette Bynum (pro wrestler)
- Josette Simon (actress, “Wonder Woman”)
- Josette Day (actress, “Swiss Tour”)
- Josette Bushell (theater director)
- Josette Banzet (actress, “Hard Knocks”)
- Josette Maskin (guitarist from band MUNA)
Josettes in popular culture:
- Josette du Pres (character from “Dark Shadows”)
- Josette (character from X-Men comics)
- Josette (character from “David and Lisa”)
- Josette Parker (character from “The Vampire Diaries”)
- Josette Saltzman (character from “The Vampire Diaries”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Katrina Elena/Shutterstock.com.