Lorena is a beautiful classic name for girls. Admirable for its pleasing combination of vowels, this name demonstrates a startling depth of varying origin and history. Lorena Krasiki is a popular character in the True Blood series, and Lorena Wood Parker was a character in the Lonesome Dove series. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Lorena:
Latin: Laurel tree, person from Laurentum
Spanish, German: Kingdom of the famous army
French, Greek: Bright, shining light
Origin of the name Lorena:
Lorena is a classic name with several possible origins. In most Romance languages, Lorena is a Latin variation of Lauren. This name is the feminine version of Laurence (meaning “person for Laurentum”). The ancient city of Laurentum derived its name from the Latin word laurus (meaning “laurel tree”).
In addition, Lorena is also a version of Lorraine. The name Lorraine originated from a medieval French region known as the “kingdom of Lothar.” Prior to its arrival in France, the French name Lothar arose from the Old High German title Chlodochar. This name was a combination of the Old German words hlud (meaning “famous”) and hari (meaning “army”).
Finally, Lorena can derive from an anagram of the name Lenore. This name is the short form of Eleanor. The name Eleanor is the English version of the Provençal name Alienor. This name ultimately derived from the Greek root ēlē (meaning “bright” or “shining light”)
Symbolism of the name Lorena:
Lorena is a Latin variation of Lauren (meaning “laurel tree”). During antiquity, the symbol of the laurel was the wreath or crown.
Style of the name Lorena:
Gender of the name Lorena:
Lorena is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Lorena:
Number of syllables in the name Lorena:
Emotion evoked from the name Lorena:
The name Lorena evokes feelings of illumination and insight.
Alternative spellings for the name Lorena:
Nicknames for the name Lorena:
Popularity of the name Lorena:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Lorena was the 1,281st most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Lorena:
Great middle names for Lorena and their meanings:
- Astrid (divinely beautiful)
- Azul (blue)
- Celeste (heavenly)
- Damaris (little calf, maiden, girl)
- Emerald (green gemstone)
- Fawn (little deer)
- Marilyn (tempestuous lake)
- Shelby (willow farm, ledge estate)
- Sunny (bright, cheerful, sunlight)
- Taylor (tailor, cutter of cloth)
- Winifred (peaceful friend)
Famous people with the name Lorena:
- Lorena Andrea (actress)
- Lorena Blanco (badminton player)
- Lorena Bobbitt (former wife of public figure John Wayne Bobbitt)
- Lorena Feijóo (ballerina)
- Lorena Ayala Van Heerde (model)
- Lorena Maritza Herrera (actress)
- Lorena Alice Hickok (journalist)
- Lorena Bernal Pascual (model)
- Lorena Gómez Pérez (singer)
- Lorena Ochoa Reyes (golfer)
Lorena in popular culture:
- Lorena Krasiki (character in the True Blood series)
- Lorena Wood Parker (character in the Lonesome Dove series)