Shelby is truly a gender-neutral name with many famous people of all genders sporting the name. From football player Shelby Harris to “American Idol” contestant Shelby Dressel, the name Shelby is not relegated to only boys or girls but a great name for anyone. Keep reading to find out more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Shelby:
Old Norse: willow or from the ledge estate
Origin of the name Shelby:
Old Norse. Shelby originally started out as an English surname taken from the Old Norse “selja,” or “willow,” and “byr,” or “estate”. This gave it the meaning “willow or from the ledge estate”.
Symbolism of the name Shelby:
The symbolism of Shelby comes from one of its meanings, “willow”. Willow trees are elegant, graceful, and stand against the elements with dignity. What parent wouldn't want their child to have these qualities?
Style of the name Shelby:
Gender of the name Shelby:
Shelby is a great name for both boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Shelby:
Syllables in the name Shelby:
Emotion evoked from the name Shelby:
The name Shelby evokes a feeling of sophistication, elegance, and grace.
Alternative spellings for the name Shelby:
Shelbea, Shelbee, Shelbeigh, Shelbey, Shelbie, Shellby
Nicknames for the name Shelby:
Shell, Bee, El
Popularity of the name Shelby:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Shelby was ranked as the 502nd most popular girl name in 2020. As a boy's name, Shelby enjoyed its highest ranking in 1938 when it was the 368th most popular boy name. It has not appeared in the top 1000 boy names in the last 20 years.
Related names for the name Shelby:
Selby, Colby, Kolby
Great middle names for Shelby and their meanings:
- Arden (valley of the eagle)
- Echo (Greek mythology name)
- Evren (universe)
- Rio (river, place of the cherry blossoms)
- Wilde (wild)
- Win (diminutive of Winslow, Winthrop, or Winston)
Famous people with the name Shelby:
- Shelby Blackstock (race car driver, Reba McEntire's son)
- Shelby Fero (comedian, writer)
- Shelby Young (actress)
- Shelby Harris (football player)
- Shelby Earl (singer, songwriter)
Shelby in movies/pop culture:
- Shelby Corcoran (character on the television series “Glee”)
- Shelby Eatenton-Latcherie (Julia Roberts’s character in “Steel Magnolias”)
- Shelby Wyatt (character in the television series “Quantico”)