Shelly is a baby girl’s name that was popular in the second half of the 20th century. Shelly is of English and Old English origin meaning either “who is like God?” or “clearing on a bank”. Shelly is a diminutive of the name Michelle.
Meaning of the name Shelly:
English: Who is like God?
Old English: clearing on a bank
Origin of the name Shelly:
Shelly is a baby girl’s name with two possible English origins. Shelly is an English diminutive of the French name Michelle and means “who is like God?”. Shelly is also derived from the surname Shelley which derives from an Old English term meaning “clearing on a bank”.
Symbolism of the name Shelly:
Shelley is a surname for someone who lived in a clearing near the bank of a river.
Style of the name Shelly:
Gender of the name Shelly:
Shelly is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Shelly:
Number of syllables in the name Shelly:
Emotion evoked from the name Shelly:
Shelly evokes feelings of friendliness and joy.
Alternative spellings for the name Shelly:
Shelley, Shellie, Chelly, Chellie
Nicknames for the name Shelly:
Popularity of the name Shelly:
According to the Social Security Administration, Shelly was a popular baby girl’s name in the second half of the 20th century. Shelly first appeared in the top 1000 names in 1948 and its last appearance was in 1996. Shelly peaked at #89 in 1966.
Related names for the name Shelly:
Great middle names for the name Shelly and their meanings:
- Luisa (renowned warrior)
- Lorraine (from Lorraine)
- Rain (the weather)
- Indigo (Indian dye)
- Aurora (dawn)
- Delilah (delicate)
- Adelaide (noble)
- Coraline (maiden)
Famous people with the name Shelly:
- Shelly Meg Peiken (American songwriter)
- Shelly Fraser-Pryce (Jamaican Olympic sprinter)
- Shelly Martinez (American pro wrestler)
- Shelly West (American singer)
- Shelly Yachimovich (Israeli Knesset member)
Shelly in popular culture:
- Shelly McCory (television, “Spin City”)
- Shelly Marie Tambo (television, “Northern Exposure”)
- Shelly Johnson (television, “Twin Peaks”)
- Shelly (literature, “Flush” by Carl Hiaasen)
- Shelly (video games, “Brawl Stars”)