Luisa is a baby girl’s name of Spanish and Italian origin that means “renowned warriors”. Luisa has been popular for most of the 20th century and has returned to the spotlight since 2020. Luisa is a feminine form of Luis.
Meaning of the name Luisa:
Italian, Spanish: renowned warrior
Origin of the name Luisa:
Luisa is a baby girl’s name of Spanish and Italian origin. It means “renowned warrior” and is a feminine form of the name Louis.
Symbolism of the name Luisa:
Luisa is a popular traditional name that has been in use for centuries. There have been many queens, empresses, authors, artists, and other influential women who have borne the name Luisa.
Style of the name Luisa:
Gender of the name Luisa:
Luisa is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Luisa:
LWEE-sa (Spanish), LWEE-za (Italian)
Number of syllables in the name Luisa:
Emotion evoked from the name Luisa:
Luisa evokes feelings of pride and family.
Alternative spellings for the name Luisa:
Louisa, Luesa, Luisah, Luiza
Nicknames for the name Luisa:
Popularity of the name Luisa:
According to the Social Security Administration, Luisa is a popular baby girl’s name. Luisa has been in the top 1000 baby names list sporadically. It was listed most years from 1900 to 1930. It appeared in the top 1000 for a few years at a time in the 1960s, 70s, and 90s. It returned to the list in 2020. Luisa peaked at #750 in 1911.
Related names for the name Luisa:
Great middle names for the name Luisa and their meanings:
- Nerina (nymph, sea sprite)
- Mattea (gift from God)
- Bianca (white, fair)
- Clio (recount, glory)
- Dania (God is my judge)
- Fiore (flower)
- Grazia (grace)
- Imelda (whole, universal battle)
Famous people with the name Luisa:
- Luisa Christina Zissman (British businesswoman)
- Luisa Valenzuela (Argentine novelist)
- Luisa Marchesa Casati Stampa di Soncino (Italian heiress and art patron)
- Luisa Tetrazzini (Italian operatic soprano)
- Luisa Bradshaw White (English actress)
Luisa in popular culture:
- Luisa Miller (opera, “Luisa Miller” by Verdi)
- Luisa Anselmi (film, “8 1/2”)
- Luisa Contini (film, “Nine”)
- Luisa Warrington (television, “Family Affairs”)
- Luisa Alver (television, “Jane The Virgin”)