Nina is a world-class baby name for girls. Short and sweet, the name has a pleasant tone that resonates in popular culture. Nina Price is the name of a popular Marvel Comics character, and Nina Sayers is the protagonist of the film Black Swan). Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Nina:
Russian: Priceless, God is gracious
Quechua, Aymara: Fire
Origin of the name Nina:
Nina is a world-renowned name with several possible etymologies. In Eastern European and Slavic countries, Nina is a diminutive of names like Antonina and Giannina. Antonina derives from the Old Latin name Antōnius and means “priceless,” “praiseworthy,” or “esteemed.” Some etymologists also link the name Antonina to the Greek word anthos (meaning “flower”). Giannina derives from the Greek name Ioannes (a variation of the Hebrew name Yochanan that means “God is gracious”).
Nina has various meanings in other languages. In Spanish, Nina is a spin on the word niña (meaning “girl”). Native American languages like Quechua and Aymara use Nina to describe “fire.” And in the ancient languages of Akkadian, Sumerian, and Babylonia, Nina derived from the word Ninua (meaning “fish”).
Symbolism of the name Nina:
Nina has different meanings around the world, and it is the name of at least two goddesses in human history. In the indigenous religions of the Americas, Nina is the Incan goddess of fire. Her symbols included the sun and the campfire. In Akkaddian religion, Nina was an incarnation of the goddess Ishtar (also known as Nin in some dialects). Nina was the goddess of oceans, and her central place of worship was the ancient city of Nineveh. Her primary symbol was ninua (an enclosure of fish that represented fertility).
Style of the name Nina:
Gender of the name Nina:
Nina is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Nina:
Number of syllables in the name Nina:
Emotion evoked from the name Nina:
The name Nina evokes feelings of femininity and good fortune.
Alternative spellings for the name Nina:
Nicknames for the name Nina:
Popularity of the name Nina:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Nina was the 329th most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Nina:
Great middle names for Nina and their meanings:
- Alethea (truth)
- Clare (clear, bright, famous)
- Cassidy (clever, curly-haired)
- Emerson (whole, universal, ruler)
- Giada (jade, green gemstone)
- Hollis (holly tree)
- Iris (rainbow)
- Odette (wealthy, fortunate, prosperous)
- Simone (God has heard)
- Veronica (bringer of victory, true image, honest one)
Famous people with the name Nina:
- Nina Chanel Abney (artist)
- Nina Susann Åström (singer)
- Nina Margarita Conti (ventriloquist)
- Nina Dobrev (actress)
- Nina Jane Easton (journalist)
- Nina Lilian Etkin (anthropologist)
- Nina Rachel Gordon (guitarist)
- Nina Therese Kasniunas (political scientist)
- Nina Odette Hanson (daughter of musician Issac Hanson)
- Nina Danielle Sklar (wife of actor Jerry Seinfeld)
Nina in popular culture:
- Nina (opera by Giovanni Paisiello)
- Nina Harris (character from the soap opera EastEnders)
- Nina “Vampire by Night” Price (Marvel Comics character)
- Nina Reeves (character on the soap opera General Hospital)
- Nina Rosario (character from the play In the Heights)
- Nina Sayers (protagonist of the film Black Swan)
- Nina Webster (character in the soap opera The Young and the Restless)
- Nina Wrigley (titular protagonist of Wherever Nina Lies by Lynn Weingarten)