If you're looking for the perfect nautical baby name for your little girl, you can't go wrong with Marina. It's been a popular moniker in the United States for decades, but it's got multicultural appeal. Marina is beloved in countries that speak Italian, Portuguese and Spanish. It's also popular in Scandanavian and Slavic countries, as well as France and Germany. In the UK, it dates back to the 1300s.
Meaning of the name Marina:
Latin: Of the sea
Origin of the name Marina:
Marina is the feminine version of the Latin name Marius, which means “of the sea.”
Symbolism of the name Marina:
The name Marina does not just mean “of the sea” in Latin; as an English word name, it's also associated with the water. A marina is a harbor where boats and ships are moored. The sea is often seen as a symbol of life.
Style of the name Marina:
Gender of the name Marina:
Marina is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Marina:
Number of syllables in the name Marina:
Emotion evoked from the name Marina:
The baby name Marina evokes images of someone who is spiritual and peaceful.
Alternative spellings for the name Marina:
Nicknames for the name Marina:
Popularity of the name Marina:
Marina has been a top 1,000 baby name for girls in the United States since 1919. As of 2020, it ranks at number 707, according to the Social Security Administration.
Related names for the name Marina:
Great middle names for Marina and their meanings:
- Kate (pure)
- Pearl (smooth, round bead)
- Jewel (jewel)
- Iris (rainbow)
- Claire (bright, clear)
- Rose (flower)
- Ruby (precious red stone)
- Elizabeth (pledged to God)
- Lucia (light)
Famous people with the name Marina:
- Marina de Tavira (actress)
- Marina Diamandis (singer)
- Marina Sirtis (actress)
- Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark
- Marina Klimova (Olympic ice skater)
Marinas in popular culture:
- Marina (character from the video game “Animal Crossing”)
- Marina Ferrer (character on the TV show “The L Word”)
- Marina Cooper Lewis (character from the soap opera “Guiding Light”)
- Princess(character in the film “Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid”)
- Marina (character on the TV show “Stingray”)