Melissa is a charming baby girl name. With origins dating back to early Greece, Melissa is a classic that never ceases to feel current. The name also has a perennial role in popular culture. Melissa “Lissa” Daniels is the main character in Shut Out, and Melissa “Mel” Burke is the protagonist of the well-loved sitcom Melissa & Joey. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning and Origin of the name Melissa:
Melissa is a girl's name of Greek origin meaning “bee” or “honeybee.”
Melissa originates from the Greek word mélissa (meaning “bee”). The term Mélissa also derived from meli (meaning “honey”).
Symbolism of the name Melissa:
Melissa is the Greek word for “honeybee.” According to Greek mythology, Melissa was a forest nymph who discovered the use of honey as a source of food. In the birth story of Zeus, Melissa fed the infant god with honey and thereby nursed the baby to health. The symbol for Melissa is the honeycomb.
Nicknames for the name Melissa:
Melissa is one of those names for girls that seems to have an endless list of nicknames. There are so many ways to create nicknames from Melissa. We compiled the nicknames in the list below to aid you in figuring out which nickname is perfect for your baby girl.
Style of the name Melissa:
Gender of the name Melissa:
Melissa is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Melissa:
Number of syllables in the name Melissa:
Emotion evoked from the name Melissa:
The name Melissa evokes feelings of sweetness and sincerity.
Alternative spellings for the name Melissa:
Popularity of the name Melissa:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Melissa was the 348th most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Melissa:
Great middle names for Melissa and their meanings:
- Arwyn (muse)
- Brianne (strong, noble, exalted)
- Carys (love)
- Florencia (flower)
- Jayla (God will protect, victory, healer)
- Natalya (Christmas)
- Paulette (humble, small)
- Rosemary (dew of the sea, herb)
- Skye (sky, cloud)
- Taylor (tailor)
Famous people with the name Melissa:
- Melissa Marie Benoist (actress)
- Melissa Rose “Melrose” Bickerstaff (model)
- Melissa Arnette “Missy” Elliott (singer)
- Melissa Claire Egan (actress)
- Melissa ‘Missy' Franklin (Olympic medalist)
- Melissa Joan Hart (actress)
- Melissa “Missy” Higgins (singer)
- Melissa Chessington Leo (actress)
- Melissa Margaret Peterman (comedienne)
- Melissa Ivy Rauch (actress)
Melissa in popular culture:
- Melissa Alison “Mel” Burke (protagonist of the sitcom Melissa & Joey)
- Melissa “Lissa” Daniels (main character in Shut Out by Kody Keplingers)
- Melissa Hastings (character on Pretty Little Liars)
- Melissa McCall (character on Teen Wolf)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Angelina Tyshkovets/Shutterstock.com.