Rosemary feels like an ancient name, but it actually did not come about until the Middle Ages in England. Though Rosmarinus was the name of a spice long before in Latin culture, the English combined two more traditional names. The name is a top 500 name in the United States now for girls.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Rosemary:
The baby name Rosemary comes from the herb of the same name. The plant was called the “dew of the sea” as it could thrive on the coast. Originally, the name of the herb was Rosmarinus. In the Middle Ages, however, the English learned how the same sound could come through by combining the names Rose and Mary.
Symbolism of the Name Rosemary:
The baby name Rosemary receives its meaning from the original Latin word for the herb, Rosmarinus. In Latin, “ros” means “dew”. “Marinus” means “of the sea”. For this reason, the name Rosemary can still mean “dew of the sea.”
Nicknames for the Name Rosemary:
Rosemary is a beautiful name, so it makes sense that it has some nice nicknames to go with it! We've gathered the best nicknames for Rosemary for you, to make the job of picking a name easier. Take a look:
Style of the Name Rosemary:
Gender of the Name Rosemary:
Rosemary is a cute name for girls.
Pronunciation of the Name Rosemary:
Number of Syllables in the Name Rosemary:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Rosemary:
Rosemary is a regal name that feels young. This makes it more lighthearted and approachable.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Rosemary:
Popularity of the Name Rosemary:
The baby name Rosemary has been on the top 1,000 list since 1900. In 2022, it was on the top 500 list at number 367. From 1938 to 1949, Rosemary was on the top 100 list. It was also a top 100 name from 1926 to 1932, and again in 1935.
Related Names for the Name Rosemary:
Great Middle Names for Rosemary and Their Meanings:
- Virginia (maiden)
- Ada (nobility)
- Gwen (fair, blessed, holy)
- Amelia (work)
- Lydia (beautiful one, noble one)
- Lyla (island beauty)
- Tess (late summer)
- Willow (freedom, willow tree)
Famous People with the Name Rosemary:
- Rosemary Clooney (actress, “White Christmas”)
- Rosemary LaPlanche (Miss America from 1941)
- Rosemary Casals (professional tennis player)
- Rosemary Harris (actress, “Spider-Man”)
- Rosemary Wells (children's book author, “Noisy Nora”)
- Rosemary DeCamp (actress, “The Life of Riley”)
Rosemarys in Popular Culture:
- Rosemary Woodhouse (main character in “Rosemary's Baby”)
- Rosemary (character from “The Giver”)
- Rosemary Daniels (character in “Neighbours”)
- Rosemary Telesco (character in “Little Manhattan”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©DONOT6_STUDIO/Shutterstock.com.