Emery is a German unisex baby name that means “industrious”. Emery is traditionally a boy’s name but as its popularity rises post 2000 Emery is becoming more and more common for girls. Emery is the most popular spelling of alternatives Emory and Emerie.
Meaning of the name Emery:
Origin of the name Emery:
Emery is a unisex name of German origin that means “industrious” that is a French and English surname. Emery is derived from Emmerich and Amalrich.
Symbolism of the name Emery:
Emery is a type of stone that is ground into a powder and used as an abrasive. Emery has many applications such as grinding rice, in flooring, and even nail files.
Style of the name Emery:
Gender of the name Emery:
Emery is a great name for both boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Emery:
Number of syllables in the name Emery:
Emotion evoked from the name Emery:
Emery evokes feelings of determination and kindness.
Alternative spellings for the name Emery:
Emory, Emerie, Amery
Nicknames for the name Emery:
Popularity of the name Emery:
According to the Social Security Administration, Emery is a unisex name. As a boy’s name Emery was popular between 1900 and 1979 and returned to the top 1000 in 2007. As a girl’s name Emery entered the top 1000 in 2005.
Related names for the name Emery:
Great middle names for the name Emery and their meanings:
- Scott (from Scotland)
- Duke (duke)
- Burke (from the fortress)
- Zeke (God strengthens)
- Dane (from Denmark)
- Landon (long hill)
- Gavin (white hawk)
- Zelda (gray fighting maiden)
- Lavender (lavender)
- Fleur (flower)
- Cosette (little thing)
- Celeste (heavenly)
- Helena (bright, shining light)
Famous people with the name Emery:
- Emery Molyneux (English globemaker)
- Emery Lehman (American speed skater)
- Emery Neal Brown (American statistician and neuroscientist)
- Emery Welshman (Guyanese footballer)
Emerys in popular culture:
- Emery Ashworth (literature, “The Children of Hypnos” by Francesca Zappia)
- Emery Whitehill (television, “Star-Crossed”)
- Emery Huang (television, “Fresh off the Boat”)
- Emery Whirlwind (television, “Northern Exposure”)