Rosie is one of the most popular floral baby names. Sweet and cherubic, this name's cultural foundation has enabled it to stay relevant for centuries. Rosie the Riveter is an American cultural icon, and Rosie Germaine Mole is the main character in the popular epistolary novel by Sue Townsend. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Rosie:
English: Little rose
Irish: Beautiful rose
Origin of the name Rosie:
Rosie is a diminutive of the name Rose. Both Rosie and Rosie have been common given names since Victorian times. The English name Rosie follows a nickname pattern found in several other languages. In Spanish, for example, the diminutive of Rosa is Rosita. And in Russian, the diminutive of Ruža is Ružica. The name Rosie is also a contraction of the Irish name Rós Ailínn (meaning “beautiful rose”).
Symbolism of the name Rosie:
Rosie is a nickname of the name Rose that became popular as a given name during the Victorian era. The Victorians chose this flora name to honor the purity of the Virgin Marie. Her symbol is the rosa mystica. During the 20th century, the name's optimistic tone gave rise to the cultural icon known as Rosie the Riveter. The icon is symbolic of American feminism and economic empowerment.
Style of the name Rosie:
Gender of the name Rosie:
Rosie is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Rosie:
Number of syllables in the name Rosie:
Emotion evoked from the name Rosie:
The name Rosie evokes feelings of optimism and positive outlook.
Alternative spellings for the name Rosie:
Nicknames for the name Rosie:
Popularity of the name Rosie:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Rosie was the 470th most popular baby name for girls in 2020. Rosie has ranked among the top 1,000 baby girl names since 2013.
Related names for the name Rosie:
Great middle names for Rosie and their meanings:
- Abilene (meadow)
- Candace (queen, pure)
- Gemma (gemstone, jewel)
- Francine (Frenchwoman)
- Layla (night)
- Imogen (maiden)
- Monet (wealthy protector, fortunate home ruler)
- Marlena (star of the sea, beloved, wished-for child)
- Skylar (scholar)
- Yasmine (jasmine)
Famous people with the name Rosie:
- Rosie Susan Barnes (politician)
- Rosie Belle Clark (daughter of blogger Amber Clark)
- Rosie Ellen Celine Marcel (actress)
- Rosie Grace McClelland (singer)
- Rosie O'Donnell (television host)
- Rosie Alice Huntington-Whiteley (model)
Rosie in popular culture:
- Rosie Swan Miller (character in the British soap opera EastEnders)
- Rosie Germaine Mole (main character in the epistolary novel The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole)
- Rosie the Riveter (cultural icon)
- Rosie the Robot Maid (character on The Jetsons)