The baby name Marlena was quite popular during the mid-20th century, but it has since fallen off the list of the top baby names in the United States. Throughout the years, it's been a popular name for song titles as well. Its exact origin is unknown, though it's thought to be a derivative of Mary or Madeline. We love the way it sounds with one-syllable middle names, like Sage, Rose, Ruth, or Pearl.
Meaning of the name Marlena:
Hebrew: Woman from Magdala, star of the sea, bitter, beloved
Origin of the name Marlena:
Marlena is thought to be a derivative of the baby names Madeline and Mary. Because their exact meanings are unknown, the exact meaning of Marlena is up for debate, but it's thought to mean either “woman from Magdala,” “star of the sea,” “bitter,” or “beloved.”
Symbolism of the name Marlena:
Because Marlena is a derivative of Mary, many people of the Christian faith may find symbolism there. It could also be a good choice to honor a relative named Mary or Madeline.
Style of the name Marlena:
Gender of the name Marlena:
Marlena is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Marlena:
Number of syllables in the name Marlena:
Emotion evoked from the name Marlena:
The baby name Marlena evokes images of someone who is uplifting and inspiring to those around her.
Alternative spellings for the name Marlena:
Nicknames for the name Marlena:
Popularity of the name Marlena:
Marlena was a top 1,000 baby name on and off between 1952 and 1998. According to the Social Security Administration, it was most popular in 1978 when it ranked at number 429. It last ranked at number 946 in 1998.
Related names for the name Marlena:
Great middle names for Marlena and their meanings:
- Sage (wise)
- Ruth (compassionate friend)
- Evelyn (desired)
- Avery (ruler of the elves)
- Rose (flower)
- Blythe (happy, carefree)
- Pearl (smooth round bead)
- Scarlett (red)
- Grace (God's grace)
Famous people with the name Marlena:
- Marlena Jansson (Swedish orienteer)
- Marlena Shaw (soul singer)
- Marlena Spieler (chef and cookbook author)
Marlenas in popular culture:
- Marlena Rosenbluth (character in the book and movie “Water for Elephants”)
- Marlena Evans (character on the soap opera “Days of Our Lives”)
- Queen Marlena (character in the He-Man and She-Ra universe)
- Marlena Gru (character in the movie “Despicable Me”)
- Marlena Magdelene Harmony “Nana” McQueen (character on the soap opera “Hollyoaks”)