Scarlett is an English name that means dark red. The two best known Scarletts are actress Scarlett Johanssen and Southern belle Scarlett O’Hara.
Meaning of the name Scarlett:
English: tailor who works with scarlet, dark red
Origin of the name Scarlett:
Scarlett is a baby girl’s name that is derived from an English surname that means “tailor who works with scarlet”. Scarlet is a type of cloth and likely comes from the Persian word “saghrelat”. Scarlet is also a shade of dark red.
Symbolism of the name Scarlett:
Scarlet is a vibrant dark red color that has been associated with wealth and nobility since the Medieval period due to the type of expensive woolen cloth of the same name.
Style of the name Scarlett:
Gender of the name Scarlett:
Scarlett is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Scarlett:
Number of syllables in the name Scarlett:
Emotion evoked from the name Scarlett:
Scarlett evokes feelings of grace and refinement.
Alternative spellings for the name Scarlett:
Nicknames for the name Scarlett:
Popularity of the name Scarlett:
According to the Social Security Administration, Scarlett has been a popular girl’s baby name since the early 1990’s. It has been in the top 100 since 2011.
Related names for the name Scarlett:
Great middle names for the name Scarlett and their meanings:
- Delilah (delicate)
- Rose (the flower)
- Josephine (Jehovah increases)
- Caroline (free man)
- Claire (bright, clear)
- Evelyn (desired, island)
- Audrey (noble strength)
- Lydia (woman from Lydia)
- Sophia (wisdom)
- Isabel (pledged to God)
Famous people with the name Scarlett:
- Scarlett Johanssen (American actress)
- Scarlett Thomas (English novelist)
- Scarlett Byrne (British actress)
- Scarlett Estevez (American model actress)
- Scarlett Pomers (American actress)
Scarlett in popular culture:
- Scarlett O’Hara (literature/film, “Gone with the Window” by Margaret Mitchell)
- Scarlett Nicholls (television, “Emmerdale”)
- Scarlett O'Connor (television, “Nashville”)
- Scarlett Lowe (television, “American Horror Story: Hotel”)