Melinda is a sweet baby name used for girls. Although it is a classic name, Melinda may have more of a modern feel when used today. Read on to learn more facts about the name.
Meaning and Origin of the name Melinda:
Melinda an English girl's name of Greek origin meaning “beautiful honey.”
Melinda is known as a combination name, originally began back during the 18th century when there was a trend to use “inda” as an ending to many names. It was first seen in literary usage, but it became in-use as a given name among people around the 1840s. Melinda may have derived from the name Melina, which means “little honey.” Melinda is a combination of the Greek word méli (meaning “honey”) and lind (meaning “beautiful”).
Symbolism of the name Melinda:
Melinda is a baby name with a connection to beauty as well as honey. With this, Melinda can symbolize something sweet, nurturing, and even the beauty and power of life itself. This helps make Melinda a nice choice for a newborn baby girl.
Nicknames for the name Melinda:
Melinda is a cute name for girls that's as sweet as honey. There are several cute nicknames you and pair with this name. Below is a list of cute nicknames to help you find the right one for your baby girl.
Style of the name Melinda:
Old-fashioned with a modern usage today.
Gender of the name Melinda:
The baby name Melinda is reserved for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Melinda:
mə-LIN-də, ma-LIN-dah, or MEH-leen-daw
Number of syllables in the name Melinda:
Emotion evoked from the name Melinda:
The baby name Melinda can pull out feelings of contentment.
Alternative spellings for the name Melinda:
Popularity of the name Melinda:
According to data from the Social Security Administration, Melinda is an old name, yet it has never made it into the top 1000 list of popular baby names.
Related names for the name Melinda:
Great middle names for Melinda and their meanings:
- Natalie (birthday of the Lord)
- Camille (young ceremonial attendant)
- Claire (bright, clear)
- Grace (English virtue name)
- Sophia (wisdom)
- Scarlett (scarlet, red)
- Luna (moon)
- Ira (watchful one; peace)
Famous people with the name Melinda:
- Melinda Clarke (American actress)
- Melinda Bam (South African model, beauty pageant holder)
- Melinda Watts (American singer, musician)
- Melinda Doolittle (American singer, “American Idol” contestant)
- Melinda Sullivan (American actress, dancer)
- Melinda Mullins (American actress)
- Melinda(American singer, record producer, recording artist, composer, lifetime Girl Scouts member)
- Melinda M. Snodgrass (American science fiction writer)
- Melinda Cohn (American actress)
Melindas in movies/pop culture:
- Melindain “Bánk bán,” an opera composed by Ferenc Erkel and based on the play of the same name by József Katona)
- Melindain the book “The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles” by Julie Andrews)
- “Melinda” (picture book by author Neil Gaiman and illustrator Dagmara Matusak)
- Melinda Sordino (character in the novel “Speak” by Laurie Halse Anderson)
- Melinda Warner, Melinda Halliwell (characters from the TV show “Charmed”)
- Melinda(a character in the TV show “Marve’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)
- Melinda(a character in the TV show “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit)
- Melinda Gordon (the main character in the TV show “Ghost Whisperer”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©iStock.com/Renars2014.