Celina is a baby name full of tropical flair. It comes from ancient Greek and Roman names with similar meanings of “moon goddess” and “heaven.” Celina is not a top 1,000 option in America anymore, but it is on the top 1,200 list at number 1,157.
Meaning of the name Celina:
Latin: moon goddess, heaven
Origin of the name Celina:
Celina is a baby name with two countries of origin. In Poland and Portugal, Celina is the feminine variant of Caelinus. Caelinus was a Roman surname that was the modern form of Caelius. Others, however, say that it is a form of the Greek name Selene, who was the goddess of the moon.
Symbolism of the name Celina:
Celina can mean several different things in Latin. If it comes from the ancient Roman name Caelius, it means “heaven.” Caelius comes from the Latin word “caelum” which translates to “heaven.” Celina may also mean “moon goddess” if it is a variant of the Greek Selene.
Style of the name Celina:
Gender of the name Celina:
Celina is an international-sounding name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Celina:
Number of syllables in the name Celina:
Emotion evoked from the name Celina:
Celina feels international and formal. It is upper class and refined.
Alternative spellings for the name Celina:
Nicknames for the name Celina:
Popularity of the name Celina:
Celina was a top 1,000 name one time in the early twentieth century. It was ranked 972 in 1905. Celina came back in 1973, however, lasting until 2005. It ranked highest in 1994 at number 423.
Related names for the name Celina:
Great middle names for Celina and their meanings:
- Joy (happiness, joyful)
- Marian (rose petal, star of the sea, precious, unique)
- Faviola (bean grower, bean)
- Erica (sole ruler, monarch, eternal ruler)
- Adelaide (noble type, nobility)
- Esther (myrtle leaf, star)
- Adrienne (from the city Hadria)
- Jasmine (gift from God, fragrant flower)
Famous people with the name Celina:
- Celina Sinden (actress, “Reign”)
- Celina Jade (actress, “Wolf Warrior 2”)
- Celina Jaitly (actress, “No Entry”)
Celinas in popular culture:
- Celina O'Malley (character from “Portraits of Celina”)