Most people think of the baby name Joey as a nickname for Joseph, but many people use it as a given name in its own right. It's been on the chart of the top 1,000 baby names for boys in the United States for about 80 years, and it even spent about a decade as a popular name for girls as well. It is a name largely associated with the Bible, but it's got roots in pop culture in more recent years.
Meaning of the name Joey:
Hebrew: God will add
Origin of the name Joey:
Joey is derived from Joseph, which is derived from the Hebrew name Yosef. It means “God will add, most likely because Joseph in the Old Testament was Jacob's 11th son.
Symbolism of the name Joey:
Joseph is a name used at least three times in the Bible so it may be symbolic to those of the Christian faith. Because of its meaning and association with Jacob's 11th son, it could also be symbolic of having another son or child.
Style of the name Joey:
Gender of the name Joey:
Joey is a great name for both boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Joey:
Number of syllables in the name Joey:
Emotion evoked from the name Joey:
The baby name Joey evokes images of someone who is energetic and enjoys taking action.
Alternative spellings for the name Joey:
Nicknames for the name Joey:
Popularity of the name Joey:
According to the Social Security Administration, Joey has been a top 1,000 baby name for boys since 1939. In 2020, it ranked at number 895. For girls, it spent a brief time on the chart of the top 1,000 baby names in the United States between 1968 and 1979.
Related names for the name Joey:
Great middle names for Joey and their meanings:
- Thomas (twin)
- Alexander (protector of men)
- Hunter (one who hunts)
- Cash (hollow)
- Benjamin (son of the right hand)
- Dylan (of the sea)
- Wyatt (brave at war)
- Maverick (independent)
- Mack (son)
Famous people with the name Joey:
- Joey Fatone (singer/actor)
- Joey Cora (baseball player)
- Joey Bishop (entertainer)
- Joey Galloway (football player)
- Joey Kramer (musician)
- Joey McIntyre (singer)
- Joey Ramone (singer)
- Joey Lauren Adams (actress)
- Joey Lawrence (actor)
Joeys in popular culture:
- Joey Del Marco (character on the TV show “Grand Army”)
- Joey Potter (character on the TV show “Dawson's Creek”)
- Joey Stivic (character on the TV show “All in the Family”)
- Joey Tribbiani (character on the TV show “Friends”)
- Joey Russo (character on the TV show “Blossom”)