Maverick is an English boy’s name that means “independent”. Maverick became popular as a given name first in the 1990’s and it hit the top 100 names in 2017. Maverick is a strong choice for parents who want a strong, independent little boy.
Meaning of the name Maverick:
Origin of the name Maverick:
Maverick is an American English name that means “independent”. Maverick was an English surname before it entered into use as a given name.
Symbolism of the name Maverick:
Maverick brings to mind hotshot pilots and wild west cowboys. Maverick is a law unto himself.
Style of the name Maverick:
Gender of the name Maverick:
Maverick is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Maverick:
Number of syllables in the name Maverick:
Emotion evoked from the name Maverick:
Maverick evokes feelings of independence and charm.
Alternative spellings for the name Maverick:
Nicknames for the name Maverick:
Popularity of the name Maverick:
According to the Social Security Administration, Maverick is a modern boy’s name that first became popular in 1994. Maverick has risen in popularity every year and has been in the top 100 since 2018.
Related names for the name Maverick:
Great middle names for the name Maverick and their meanings:
- Finn (fair or white)
- Theodore (gift of God)
- Luca (man from Lucania)
- Phoenix (dark red)
- Thomas (twin)
- Cyrus (sun)
- Ellis (benevolent)
- Beau (handsome)
- Wyatt (brave in war)
- Sawyer (woodcutter)
- Evander (bow warrior; strong man)
- Dorian (stranger, exile)
Famous people with the name Maverick:
- Maverick Weller (Australian footballer)
- Maverick Viñales Ruiz (Spanish motorcycle racer)
- Maverick Ahanmisi (American basketball player)
- Maverick Banes (Australian tennis player)
- Maverick Carter (American businessman)
Mavericks in popular culture:
- Maverick (film, “Top Gun”)
- Maverick (X-Men comics)
- Dallas Mavericks (American professional basketball team)
- Maverick (roller coaster at Cedar Point)
- Maverick family (television, “Maverick”)
- OS X 10.9 Mavericks (Apple Mac operating system)