Maddox is a modern English baby boy’s name meaning “son of the fortunate one” derived from a Welsh patronymic surname. Maddox rose to popularity alongside other names following the -x trend but popularity seems to be declining in the last few years.
Meaning of the name Maddox:
Welsh: son of Madoc, son of the fortunate one
Origin of the name Maddox:
Maddox is a modern English name that was originally a Welsh patronymic surname. Maddox means “son of Madoc” or “son of the fortunate one”.
Symbolism of the name Maddox:
In Wales, the horseshoe is often a symbol associated with good fortune and good luck. People would place horseshoes over the doorways of their homes as a way to ward off evil and bring good fortune.
Style of the name Maddox:
Gender of the name Maddox:
Maddox is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Maddox:
Number of syllables in the name Maddox:
Emotion evoked from the name Maddox:
Maddox evokes feelings of strength and force of will.
Alternative spellings for the name Maddox:
Nicknames for the name Maddox:
Popularity of the name Maddox:
According to the Social Security Administration, Maddox first appeared on the top 1000 lists in 2003. The name rose rapidly in popularity until it peaked at #136 in 2017.
Related names for the name Maddox:
Great middle names for the name Maddox and their meanings:
- Ace (one, unity)
- Fox (the animal)
- Orion (the constellation)
- Sorin (star)
- Rhys (ardor)
- Callum (dove)
- Flynn (son of the red-haired one)
- Beckett (bee hive, little brook)
- Owen (young warrior)
Famous people with the name Maddox:
- Maddox aka George Ouzounian (American author)
- Joe Maddox (American baseball player and manager
- Maddox Jolie Pitt (son of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt)
Maddoxs in popular culture:
- Maddox film, Planet of the Apes series)
- Maddox (film, “Desperate Hours”)
- Maddox (literature, “A Book of Spirits and Thieves” by Morgan Rhodes)
- Bernie Maddox (television, “Red Cap”)
- Maddox Wright (literature, “The Amateurs” by Sarah Sheppard)