Clementine is a delightful baby name for girls. Sweet as the fruit that bears its name, Clementine is beautiful in its full form and can shorten into lovely nicknames. Immortalized in the American folk ballad “My Darling Clementine,” this name also has a perennial place in contemporary popular culture. Clementine is the main character in The Walking Dead video game, and Clementine Kruczynski is the female protagonist of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Clementine:
Latin: Merciful, gentle, mild
Origin of the name Clementine:
Clementine is the feminine variation of the Latin masculine name Clement. This name derives from the Latin words clemens or clementius (meaning “merciful,” “mild,” or “gentle”).
Symbolism of the name Clementine:
Clementine is the feminine form of the Latin name Clement. It derives from the Latin word clemens (meaning “merciful”). This Latin root is the same origin of the Modern English word clemency (meaning “mercy,” “lenience,” or “pardon”). During antiquity, Romans personified the virtues of leniency and mercy as the goddess Clementia. Her symbols included the olive tree branch, the marble column, and the royal scepter of absolution.
In addition, the name's gracious tone has made both the masculine and feminine versions highly popular within religion. For example, Clement is the name of 14 different Catholic popes, and Clement is also the name of the Catholic priest who created a new hybrid of the mandarin orange (now known as the clementine).
Style of the name Clementine:
Gender of the name Clementine:
Clementine is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Clementine:
Number of syllables in the name Clementine:
Emotion evoked from the name Clementine:
The name Clementine evokes feelings of grace and gratitude.
Alternative spellings for the name Clementine:
Nicknames for the name Clementine:
Popularity of the name Clementine:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Clementine was the 610th most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Clementine:
Great middle names for Clementine and their meanings:
- Aurélie (golden)
- Audrey (noble strength)
- Belle (beautiful)
- Domenica (of the Lord)
- Eden (paradise)
- Patrice (noblewoman, aristocrat)
- Phoebe (bright, shining, radiant)
- Ruth (friend)
- Tatum (cheerful, bringer of joy, homestead)
- Zaria (blooming flower, dawn)
Famous people with the name Clementine:
- Clementine “Clelie” Abel (journalist)
- Clementine Dinah Bullock (singer)
- Clementine Silvia Hambro(great-granddaughter of Winston Churchill)
- Clementine Jane Hawke (daughter of actor Ethan Hawke)
- Clementine Ogilvy Hozier (wife of Winston Churchill)
- Clémentine Albertine Marie Léopoldine (princess)
- Clementine Faik Nzuji (poet)
- Clementine Rose “Tyne” O'Connell (novelist)
- Clementine Grace Taylor (daughter of actress Rachel Grffiths)
- Clementine Ionia de Vere (illusionist)
Clementine in popular culture:
- Clementine (main character in The Walking Dead video game)
- Dr. Clementine Chasseur (character on television's Hemlock Grove)
- Clementine Ford (character on television's Lost)
- Clementine Kruczynski (main female character in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind)