Nell is a baby girl’s name of English origin that means “bright, shining one” or “moon”. Nell is a Medieval nickname for Ellen, Eleanor, Selene, and other names with the “el” sound in them. Nell was popular in the first half of the 20th century.
Meaning of the name Nell:
English: bright, shining one, moon
Origin of the name Nell:
Nell is a baby girl’s name of English origin that means “bright, shining one” or “moon”. Nell is a diminutive of the names Ellen, Eleanor, Helen, and Selene.
Symbolism of the name Nell:
Nell has a namesake in the Clematis Little Nell flower. It is a vining, climbing plant that has delicate, light pink flowers. Clematis are symbols of ingenuity, cleverness, and intelligence.
Style of the name Nell:
Gender of the name Nell:
Nell is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Nell:
Number of syllables in the name Nell:
Emotion evoked from the name Nell:
Nell evokes feelings of hard work and joy.
Alternative spellings for the name Nell:
Nel, Nehl, Nehll
Nicknames for the name Nell:
Popularity of the name Nell:
According to the Social Security Administration, Nell is a popular baby girl’s name. Nell was in the top 1000 baby names from 1900 to 1956. It peaked at #186 in 1902.
Related names for the name Nell:
Great middle names for the name Nell and their meanings:
- Delphine (of Delphi, womb)
- Andromeda (advising like a man)
- Emmeline (work)
- Margaret (pearl)
- Josephine (Jehovah increases)
- Lydia (woman from Lydia)
- Sofia (wisdom)
- Evangeline (bearer of good news)
Famous people with the name Nell:
- Nell Bryden (American singer)
- Nell Mary Dunn (English playwright)
- Nell Freudenberger (American novelist)
- Tracey Jane “Nell” McAndrew (English glamour model)
- Nell McCafferty (Irish journalist and playwright)
Nell in popular culture:
- Little Nell Trent (literature, “The Old Curiosity Shop” by Charles Dickens)
- Nell Kellty (film, “Nell”)
- Nell Bedworth (film, “It's a Boy Girl Thing”)
- Nell Jones (television, “NCIS: Los Angeles”)
- Nell Turbody (television, “Rescue Me”)