Tracey is a unisex baby name that was at peak popularity in the 1960s and 70s. Tracey can mean “domain belonging to Thracius,” “summer,” or “to harvest,” depending on the origin. As a girl’s name, Tracey was in the top 100 baby names list from 1965 to 1972.
Meaning and Origin of the name Tracey:
Tracey is a unisex baby name that is of French, English, and German origin. As a French name, Tracey comes from a Norman French place name that means “domain belonging to Thracius”. As an English and German name, Tracey derives from Greek, coming from either “theros” meaning “summer,” or “therizo” meaning “to harvest.” Tracey is sometimes a diminutive of the name Teresa.
Symbolism of the name Tracey:
Tracey means “summer” or “to harvest”. Summer is the season of plenty, adventure, and relaxation. The harvest is a time of year for hard work but also reaping the rewards of that hard work.
Nicknames for the name Tracey:
Style of the name Tracey:
Gender of the name Tracey:
Tracey is a unisex baby name — one that's given to both boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Tracey:
Number of syllables in the name Tracey:
Emotion evoked from the name Tracey:
Tracey evokes feelings of hard work and creative talent.
Alternative spellings for the name Tracey:
Tracee, Traci, Tracie, Tracy
Popularity of the name Tracey:
According to the Social Security Administration, Tracey is a popular unisex baby name. As a girl’s name, Tracey was in the top 1000 baby names list from 1950 to 1996 and in the top 100 from 1965 to 1972. It peaked at #55 in 1970. As a boy’s name, Tracey was in the top 1000 baby names list from 1956 to 1979. It peaked at #318 in 1967.
Related names for the name Tracey:
Great middle names for the name Tracey and their meanings:
- Beck (small stream)
- Jett (excellence)
- Nash (by the ash tree)
- Kit (young fox, follower of Christ)
- Shaw (dweller by the wood)
- Everest (the world’s tallest mountain)
- Justice (fair, righteous)
- Asher (fortunate, blessed, happy one)
- June (the month, goddess)
- Wynn (fair, pure)
- Faraday (Woodman)
- Sloane (raider)
- Mercer (a merchant)
- Zora (dawn)
- Elodie (foreign riches)
- Freya (a noblewoman)
Famous people with the name Tracey:
- Tracey Walter (American actor)
- Tracey Childs (English actress)
- Tracey Ilana Curro (Australian TV journalist)
- Tracey Elizabeth Bregman (American actress)
- Tracey Anne Thorn (English singer)
Tracey in popular culture:
- Tracey Sketchit (television, “Pokemon” series)
- Tracey (television, “Gravity Falls”)
- Tracey Stubbs (television, “Birds of a Feather”)
- Tracey the Barmaid (television, “EastEnders”)
- Tracey (film, “Hustlers”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Maria Evseyeva/Shutterstock.com.