The baby name Nellie was popular throughout the 20th century, until the late 1970s, when an unpopular TV character knocked it out of favor. However, it's currently making a big comeback. Technically a nickname, Nellie is cute and fun and pairs well with classic and unique middle names.
Meaning of the name Nellie:
Greek: Brightness, light
Origin of the name Nellie:
Nellie was originally a nickname for Ellen, Helen or Eleanor, all of which are derived from the Gree word “ēlē,” which means “bright” or “light.”
Symbolism of the name Nellie:
Because the name literally means light, it may symbolize life, purity, hope or wisdom.
Style of the name Nellie:
Gender of the name Nellie:
Nellie is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Nellie:
Number of syllables in the name Nellie:
Emotion evoked from the name Nellie:
The baby name Nellie evokes images of someone who is intelligent and outgoing.
Alternative spellings for the name Nellie:
Nicknames for the name Nellie:
Popularity of the name Nellie:
Throughout the 1920s, Nellie was a top 100 baby name. It remained on the list of the top 1,000 baby names for girls in the United States until 1979. In 2019, it made a comeback, and as of 2020, it ranks at number 837, according to the Social Security Administration.
Related names for the name Nellie:
Great middle names for Nellie and their meanings:
- Mae (pearl)
- Anne (grace)
- Ruth (compassionate friend)
- Rose (flower)
- Louise (renowned warrior)
- Blossom (to bloom)
- Odette (wealthy)
- Sage (wise)
- Pearl (smooth round bead)
Famous people with the name Nellie:
- Nellie Bly (journalist)
- Nellie Kim (gymnast)
- Nellie Marie Burns (actor and poet)
- Nellie McKay (singer and actress)
- Nellie George Stearns (artist)
Nellies in popular culture:
- Nellie(character from the “Little House on the Prairie” books and TV series)
- Nellie Bertram (character from the TV show “The Office”)
- Nellie Forbush (character from the musical “South Pacific”)
- Nellie O'Malley (doll and character from the American Girl collection)
- Nellie(character in the animated movie “An American Tail: The Mystery of the Night Monster”)