Emmeline is a cute baby girl name that was used in France prior to the Middle Ages. It became popularized in England during Medieval times, not becoming popular in America until the last decade. Currently, for instance, it is a top 900 name.
Meaning of the name Emmeline:
Origin of the name Emmeline:
Emmeline is an Old French baby name that comes from the Old Germanic name Amelina. This name, ultimately, comes from the German word “amal.” It was during the Norman Invasion that the French brought the name to the English, becoming popular in the country in the Middle Ages.
Symbolism of the name Emmeline:
Emmeline comes from the German word “amal.” This word literally translates to “work,” which is also what Amelina and Emmeline mean.
Style of the name Emmeline:
Gender of the name Emmeline:
Emmeline is an adorable name for baby girls.
Pronunciation of the name Emmeline:
EHM-uh-leen or EHM-uh-lien
Number of syllables in the name Emmeline:
Emotion evoked from the name Emmeline:
Emmeline is a cute and sweet name. It is dainty and even a bit rugged.
Alternative spellings for the name Emmeline:
Nicknames for the name Emmeline:
Popularity of the name Emmeline:
Emmeline has been popular in Europe for hundreds of years. It became a top 1,000 name in America in 2014 at rank 899. It went to the top 800 list from 2016 to 2019. In 2020, however, Emmeline become rank 873.
Related names for the name Emmeline:
Great middle names for Emmeline and their meanings:
- Abigail (cause of joy)
- Lucy (light)
- Malia (rebellious)
- Victoria (victory)
- Lily (lily, a flower)
- Scarlett (scarlet cloth)
- Sophie (wisdom)
Famous people with the name Emmeline:
- Emmeline Wells (journalist)
- Emmeline Pankhurst (suffragist)
- Emmeline Pethick (feminist)
- Emmeline Stuart (poet)
- Emmeline Ndongue (French basketball player)
Emmelines in popular culture:
- Emmeline Vance (character from “Harry Potter”)
- Emmeline (character from “Uncle Tom's Cabin”)
- Emmeline Hartford (character from “The House at Riverton”)
- Emmeline Mosher (character from “Emmeline”)
- Emmeline Harris (character from “Anne of Green Gables”)
- Emmeline March (character from “The Thirteenth Tale”)