Bjorn comes from an ancient Norse surname with the same spelling. It translates to “bear.” Bjorn is one of the most popular Scandinavian names, and it is even a top 800 option in America as of 2020.
Meaning of the name Bjorn:
Origin of the name Bjorn:
Bjorn originated from the Old Norse surname “bjorn.” It has its spelling alternatives depending on if you are in Germany or Sweden, for instance. The name spread in popularity due to Bjorn Bork, a tennis star.
Symbolism of the name Bjorn:
The baby name Bjorn means “bear.” It receives this meaning from the Norse byname, “bjorn” which is the same.
Style of the name Bjorn:
Gender of the name Bjorn:
Bjorn is a traditionally European name for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Bjorn:
Number of syllables in the name Bjorn:
Emotion evoked from the name Bjorn:
Bjorn sounds international and strong. It is a mature and wholesome name.
Alternative spellings for the name Bjorn:
Nicknames for the name Bjorn:
Popularity of the name Bjorn:
Bjorn was a top 1,000 name in 1977 at rank 990 and in 1980 at number 959 in the twentieth century. In 2017, Bjorn acquired a more permanent spot on the top 1,000 list at number 947. As of 2020, Bjorn is ranked number 780 in America.
Related names for the name Bjorn:
Great middle names for Bjorn and their meanings:
- Ansel (follower of a nobleman, with divine protection)
- Hugo (mind, spirit, heart)
- Josiah (God has healed)
- Callum (dove)
- Reuben (behold, a son)
- Ivan (God is gracious)
- Leif (heir, loved)
- Otto (wealth, prosperity)
Famous people with the name Bjorn:
- Bjorn Ironside (former king of Sweden)
- Bjorn Ulvaeus (musician from ABBA)
- Bjorn Borg (tennis player)
- Bjorn Werner (NFL player)
- Bjorn Siguroarson (soccer player)
- Bjorn Engels (soccer player)
- Bjorn Wirdheim (racing driver)
Bjorns in popular culture:
- Bjorn (character from “The Hobbit”)
- Bjorn Beaker (character from “The Sims” video game)
- Bjorn (character from “Vikings”)