Bella is a baby girl’s name of Italian origin that means “beautiful”. Originally Bella was used only as the nickname for Isabella but is also used for other names ending in -bella such as Arabella and Mirabella. Bella was popular in the US until the early 1930s but has been making a comeback since 2000.
Meaning of the name Bella:
Origin of the name Bella:
Bella is a feminine name of Italian origin that is the diminutive of the name Isabella. The name means “beautiful”.
Symbolism of the name Bella:
Isabella shares a name with a type of beautiful pink and white flower called the Gladiolus Isabella. This flower symbolizes integrity, strength, and new love.
Style of the name Bella:
Gender of the name Bella:
Bella is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Bella:
Number of syllables in the name Bella:
Emotion evoked from the name Bella:
Bella evokes feelings of beauty and grace.
Alternative spellings for the name Bella:
Nicknames for the name Bella:
Popularity of the name Bella:
According to the Social Security Administration, Bella is a popular girl’s baby name that has been in the top 100 names since 2000.
Related names for the name Bella:
Great middle names for the name Bella and their meanings:
- Cerys (love)
- Bryony (to sprout)
- Delphine (dolphine)
- Olive (olive tree)
- Violet (purple)
- Luna (moon)
- Annette (grace)
- Bernadette (brave as a bear)
- Brighid (strength or exalted one)
- Margaret (pearl)
- Josephine (God increases)
Famous people with the name Bella:
- Bella Freud (English fashion designer)
- Bella Pilar (American illustrator)
- Bella Lewitzky (American choreographer)
- Bela Lugosi (Hungarian-American actor)
- Bella Abzug (American politician and activist)
Bellas in popular culture:
- Isabella Marie “Bella” Swan (Twilight series)
- Bellatrix “Bella” Lestrange (Harry Potter series)
- Bella Monroe (video game, “Siren: Blood Curse “)
- Bella Donna Boudreaux (Marvel's X,Men series)
- Bella Goth (video game, The Sims series)