Ernestine is the feminine version of the name Ernest. It is a traditional and mature option originating from Germany. In America, as of 2021, Ernestine is a top 25,000 option for girls.
Meaning of the name Ernestine:
Origin of the name Ernestine:
Ernestine is the feminine version of the baby name Ernest. Ernest comes from the Germanic word “eornost.” The Germans brought Ernest and Ernestine to England in the eighteenth century. They inherited the throne of Great Britain under the German House of Hanover. Ernest and Ernestine did not spread in popularity until the nineteenth century.
Symbolism of the name Ernestine:
Ernestine has the same meaning as the baby name Ernest. Both titles come from the German word “eornost.” “Eornost” translates to “serious” in English.
Style of the name Ernestine:
Gender of the name Ernestine:
Ernestine is a formal baby name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Ernestine:
UR-nis-teen, ehr-nehs-TEE-nuh, or EHR-nehs-teen
Number of syllables in the name Ernestine:
Three or four
Emotion evoked from the name Ernestine:
Ernestine is a mature and noble name for girls. It is powerful and unique.
Alternative spellings for the name Ernestine:
Nicknames for the name Ernestine:
Popularity of the name Ernestine:
Ernestine was a top 1,000 baby name in America until 1972 at rank 922. Ernestine ranked highest in 1926, 1928, and 1931. It was number 193 in those three years. As of 2021, Ernestine is a top 25,000 option at rank 24,405.
Related names for the name Ernestine:
Great middle names for Ernestine and their meanings:
- Cornelia (horn)
- Shauna (God is gracious)
- Christine (follower of Christ)
- Jean (God is gracious)
- Ginger (pure, chaste, virginal)
- Delia (from Delos, born on the island of Delos)
- Alexia (man's defender, helper)
- Breanna (noble, prestigious)
Famous people with the name Ernestine:
- Ernestine Russell (college gymnastics coach)
- Ernestine Sophie (Duchess of Saxe)
- Ernestine Shepherd (oldest competitive female bodybuilder)
- Ernestine Jackson (actress, singer, “Homework”)
- Ernestine Schumann (contralto)
- Ernestine Anderson (jazz and blues singer)
- Ernestine Rose (women's rights activist)
- Ernestine Petras (pro baseball player)