Cindy is a delightful baby name for girls. Reminiscent of fairy tales and folklore, this name has a perennial place in popular culture. Cindy Aurum is the name of a main character in the Final Fantasy franchise, Cindy Brady was the darling youngest sibling on The Brady Bunch, and Cindy “Silk” Moon is a famous heroine in the Marvel Comics universe. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Cindy:
Greek: Woman from Mount Cynthus
Old English: Ashes
Origin of the name Cindy:
Cindy is a classic baby name with three possible etymologies. The most common origin is that Cindy is a diminutive of Cynthia. This name originates from the Greek word Κυνθία (Kynthía) and meant “woman from Mount Cynthus.” Located in the Cyclades archipelago, Mount Cynthus is one of the most significant historical and archaeological sites in Greece.
The name Cindy is also a diminutive of the name Lucinda. This name derives from the Latin word lux (meaning “light). Finally, Cindy is a short form of Cinderella. This name attached the feminine suffix –ella to the Old English root cinder (meaning “ashes”).
Symbolism of the name Cindy:
Cindy is a diminutive of Cynthia. The name Cynthia was originally a byword of the goddesses Artemis, Selene, and Diana. Ancient Greeks identified Mount Cynthus as the birthplace of Artemis. The of Artemis was the moon. Cindy is also a nickname of Cinderella. Symbols of Cinderella include the hearth and fireplace that produced ashes and thereby granted Cinderella her name.
Style of the name Cindy:
Gender of the name Cindy:
Cindy is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Cindy:
Number of syllables in the name Cindy:
Emotion evoked from the name Cindy:
The name Cindy evokes feelings of timeless beauty.
Alternative spellings for the name Cindy:
Nicknames for the name Cindy:
Popularity of the name Cindy:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Cindy was the 711th most popular baby name for girls in 2014.
Related names for the name Cindy:
Great middle names for Cindy and their meanings:
- Andrea (strong, virile, manly)
- Bianca (white, fair, pale)
- Claribel (bright, famous, beautiful)
- Destiny (fate, predetermination, ordination)
- Esther (star, myrtle, hidden one)
- Eugenia (well-born, noble)
- Giovanna (God is gracious)
- Guadalupe (valley of the wolves)
- Indira (beauty, splendor)
- Kaylyn (pure lake)
- Luana (happiness)
- Melody (song, tune, rhythm)
- Patrice (noblewoman, aristocrat)
- Yesenia (palm tree)
- Zuleika (brilliant, bright, beautiful)
Famous people with the name Cindy:
- Cindy Amaiza (health activist)
- Cindy Ann Birdsong (singer)
- Cindy Crawford (supermodel)
- Cindy Dandois (mixed martial artist)
- Cindy Louise Jaynes (aeronautics specialist)
- Cindy Rae Jebb (brigadier general)
- Cindy Carolina Martinez (volleyball player)
- Cindy Lou Hensley McCain (wife of John McCain)
- Cindy Marie Sampson (actress)
- Cindy Leigh Wilson (singer)
Cindy in popular culture:
- Cindy Aurum (character in the Final Fantasy franchise)
- Cindy Brady (youngest character on The Brady Bunch)
- Cindy Campbell (main protagonist of the Scary Movie franchise)
- Cindy Kim (character in the Harold and Kumar franchise)
- Cindy Lou (supporting character in Otto Preminger's Carmen Jones)
- Cindy “Silk” Moon (heroine in the Marvel Comics universe)
- Cindy “Mac” MacKenzie (character on Veronica Mars)
- Cindy Vortex (supporting character in the Jimmy Neutron franchise)