Nico is a name that is now used on an international level, but it began as a nickname for Nicholas or Niccolo. Currently, Nico is a top 250 name seen primarily among boys. Read on to find out more about the origin, meaning, and symbolism of this name.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Nico:
Nico began as an Italian version of the baby name Nicholas. Some say that Italy created it just to be a nickname for the name Nicholas, or even the names Nicodemus and Niccolo. The vast majority of the uses of the name are for boys, though a few girls have been found with the name Nico. The name means “people of victory” or “victory of the people”, giving it a very strong and powerful connotation.
Symbolism of the Name Nico:
Nico has the same meaning as the names Nicholas and Niccolo. Niccolo is actually the Italian version of Nicholas, which is why Nico started as a great nickname for it.
Nicknames for the Name Nico:
Given that Nico is a short name, you wouldn't be judged harshly for thinking there are few nicknames for it. This is especially true considering that Nico is already a nickname. But, there are actually quite a few options for nicknames for Nico! Take a look:
- No no
- Ni ni
Style of the Name Nico:
Gender of the Name Nico:
Nico is a trendy and exotic name for boys.
Pronunciation of the Name Nico:
Number of Syllables in the Name Nico:
Emotion Evoked from the Name Nico:
Nico feels tropical and full of flavor. It actually has a young and trendy feel to it too.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Nico:
Popularity of the Name Nico:
Nico has been on the top 1,000 list of the Social Security Index since 1988. It has continually gone up in ranking since that time, and in 2013, went to the top 500 list. As of 2022, the name ranks at number 236.
Related Names for the Name Nico:
Great Middle Names for Nico and Their Meanings:
- Anthony (priceless one, highly praiseworthy)
- Pierce (son of Piers)
- Blaise (lisp, stutter)
- Ross (the steed, the horse)
- Alexander (defender of men)
- Donovan (dark, brown-haired chief)
- Andreas (man)
- Tobias (God is good)
Famous People with the Name Nico:
- Nico Mirallegro (actor, “Hollyoaks”)
- Nico Rosberg (racecar driver in Germany)
- Nico Jackson (financier in the United Kingdom)
- Nico Tortorella (actor, “Younger”)
- Nico Liersch (actor, “The Book Thief”)
Nicos in Popular Culture:
- Nico Machiavelli (character from “Da Vinci's Demons”)
- Nico Harris (character from “Sonny with a Chance”)
- Nico Toscani (character from “Above the Law”)
- Nico (character from “Nico”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Pshenina_m/Shutterstock.com.