Geneva is a beautiful and classy baby name for girls. Distinctly European, Geneva was also a top baby name for American girls during the 20th century. Geneva Pine is the name of a character in The Good Wife series, and Geneva Porter is a protagonist in the Ginnie and Geneva series. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Geneva:
Old Celtic: River bend, estuary
Old French: Juniper tree
Old Germanic: Kin woman
Origin of the name Geneva:
Geneva is a traditional name with three possible origins. The first etymology is a Latin adaption of the Celtic topographic name Genava. This name derived from either the Old Celtic element *genawa- or the Celtic stem *genu (both meaning “bend”). The term indicated a river bend or estuary, and it is the same root of the Italian name Genoa.
Alternatively, Geneva may also derive from the Old French word genévrier (meaning “juniper tree”). Finally, Geneva is an alternative spelling of the Old Germanic name Genovefa. This name combined the Germanic element kuni (meaning “kin”) and the suffix wefa (meaning “woman”).
Symbolism of the name Geneva:
Geneva is a place name that means “river bend,” “juniper tree,” or “kin woman.” Historically, one of the first individuals to record the Swiss location was the Roman statesman Julius Caesar (who called it Genava). Known for its waterways, symbols of Geneva include the Geneva Lake and the Jet d'Eau.
Style of the name Geneva:
Gender of the name Geneva:
Geneva is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Geneva:
Number of syllables in the name Geneva:
Emotion evoked from the name Geneva:
The name Geneva evokes feelings of winsome beauty and well-being.
Alternative spellings for the name Geneva:
Nicknames for the name Geneva:
Popularity of the name Geneva:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Geneva was the 1,428th most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Geneva:
Great middle names for Geneva and their meanings:
- Agatha (good, honorable)
- Beate (blessed)
- Chantal (stone, rock, song)
- Danica (morning star)
- Francoise (woman from France)
- Ilaria (happy, cheerful, merry)
- Kehlani (heaven and earth, sea and sky)
- Liv (life, olive tree)
- Marguerite (pearl)
- Océane (ocean)
- Romilly (person from Rome)
- Veronique (bringer of victory, true image)
- Zusi (lily)
Famous people with the name Geneva:
- Geneva “Genny” Bell (writer)
- Geneva Carr (actress)
- Geneva Mendoza Cruz (singer)
- Geneva Robertson Dworet (screenwriter)
- Geneva Alexa Locke (actress)
- Geneva Mercer (sculptor)
- Geneva Doris Mitchell (actress)
- Geneva Overholser (journalist)
- Geneva Vanderzeil (blogger)
Geneva in popular culture:
- Geneva (second-most populous city in Switzerland)
- Geneva (rock band based in Aberdeen, Scotland)
- Geneva Pine (character in The Good Wife series)
- Geneva Porter (protagonist in the Ginnie and Geneva series)